Potassium in Allahabad
Understanding Potassium in Allahabad
What is Potassium in Allahabad?
A Potassium test is used to measure the amount of potassium, an important electrolyte, in your body. This test is performed to evaluate your overall health. It can also be used as a follow-up test for ongoing health conditions like high blood pressure, kidney disease, heart problems, etc. This test is done as part of a routine health checkup.
What does Potassium measure?
A Potassium test measures the levels of potassium in your body. Potassium is one of the key electrolytes that helps in the functioning of the kidneys, heart, nerves, and muscles. It also balances the effect of sodium and helps keep your blood pressure normal. The body absorbs the required amount of potassium from the dietary sources and eliminates the remaining quantity through urine. Potassium level is normally maintained by the hormone aldosterone. Aldosterone acts on the nephrons present in the kidneys and activates the sodium-potassium pump that helps the body reabsorb sodium and excrete potassium. This aids in maintaining a normal and steady potassium level in the blood.
Answers to Patient Concerns & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Potassium in Allahabad
Frequently Asked Questions about Potassium in Allahabad
Q. Why should I get a potassium blood test done?
Q. What is hyperkalemia and its associated symptoms?
Q. What is hypokalemia and its associated symptoms?
Q. What can be the causes of high potassium levels?
Q. What can be the causes of low potassium levels?
Q. What other tests can be prescribed by the doctor in case my reports show abnormal blood potassium levels?
Q. How can I raise my potassium level naturally?
Book Potassium at-home
- Overview of Potassium’s Role in the Body - Hormonal and Metabolic Disorders. MSD Manual Consumer Version. [Accessed 13 Jul. 2023] Available from: https://www.msdmanuals.com/en-in/home/hormonal-and-metabolic-disorders/electrolyte-balance/overview-of-potassiums-role-in-the-body
- Boston 677 HA, Ma 02115 +1495‑1000. Potassium. The Nutrition Source. Published June 3, 2019. [Accessed 12 Jan. 2023] Available from: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/potassium/#:~:text=Potassium%20is%20an%20essential%20mineral
- Shrimanker I, Bhattarai S. Electrolytes. [Updated 2023 Apr 23]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; Jan. 2023. [Accessed 10 Apr. 2023] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK541123/
- Overview of Electrolytes - Hormonal and Metabolic Disorders. MSD Manual Consumer Version. [Accessed 13 Jul. 2023] Available from: https://www.msdmanuals.com/en-in/home/hormonal-and-metabolic-disorders/electrolyte-balance/overview-of-electrolytes
- Electrolytes - Health Encyclopedia - University of Rochester Medical Center. Rochester.edu. Published 2020. [Accessed 13 Jul. 2023] Available from: https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?contenttypeid=167&contentid=electrolytes