Insulin - Random
What is Insulin - Random?
Insulin random tests are useful in measuring blood glucose levels without the need of any fasting. It is widely used in detecting the amount of blood glucose in type -1 diabetes emergency cases where insulin supplementation is required immediately and also in detecting any tumor in the insulin cells of the pancreas.
Insulin random tests are taken at any time of the day. The blood sample will be taken from a finger in your arm. Glucose levels greater than 200 mg/dL is usually considered diabetic. But, the doctor will confirm the blood glucose with other tests like fasting blood glucose. Since blood glucose levels can vary based on food intake, medication, exercise intensity, taking another test is recommended for concluding the results.
Why is Insulin - Random done?
- To confirm the presence of insolin secreting tumours like insolinoma
- To confirm resistance to insolin hormone
- To monitor insolin levels in diabetics taking medicines or insolin injection
- If you have symptoms of low blood glucose levels like giddiness, sweating, palpitations, confusion, fainting and dryness of mouth.
Interpreting Insulin - Random results
- High levels of insulin may be associared with insulin secreting tumors or excess medicines
- Low levels can be seen in pancreatic disease like pancreatitis, pancreatic tumor, diabetes