Medicine Overview of Amfos Injection
Amfos 500mg Injection is used to prevent dryness in the mouth after radio therapy of head and neck cancer
It is also used to reduce the harmful effect of chemotherapy on the kidneys during treatment with cisplatin.
Nausea, Vomiting, Decreased blood pressure, Hiccup, Sleepiness, Dizziness, Flushing (sense of warmth in the face, ears, neck and trunk), Fever, Chills.
Your doctor or nurse will give you this medicine. Kindly do not self administer.
Amfos 500mg Injection works by removing free radical, harmful elements produced by cisplatin (a medicine used to treat cancer) or radiation therapy in tissues.
In Depth Information on Amfos Injection
- Inform your doctor if you suffer from cardiovascular or cerebrovascular conditions such as ischemic heart disease (chest pain, discomfort or frank heart attack), arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats), heart failure, or have a history of stroke or transient ischemic attacks (mini stroke).
- You need to be adequately hydrated prior to the amifostine infusion.
- Frequent monitoring of blood pressure is required during infusion and use of antihypertensive drugs 24 hr prior to start of amifostine infusion should be avoided.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you develop any skin reaction or reactions in and around the mouth, any time following amifostine administration.
- Amifostine is not recommended for use in elderly.
Amfos Injection related warnings
Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Please consult your doctor.
WEIGH RISKS VS BENEFITS
Amfos 500mg Injection may be unsafe to use during pregnancy.
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
Amfos 500mg Injection is probably safe to use during lactation.
Limited human data suggests that the drug does not represent a significant risk to the baby.
It is not known whether Amfos 500mg Injection alters the ability to drive. Do not drive if you experience any symptoms that affect your ability to concentrate and react.
Amfos 500mg Injection is probably safe to use in patients with kidney disease. Limited data available suggests that dose adjustment of Amfos 500mg Injection may not be needed in these patients. Please consult your doctor.
There is limited information available on the use of Amfos 500mg Injection in patients with liver disease. Please consult your doctor.
Frequently asked questions about Amfos Injection
Yes, it is FDA an approved drug
Amfos is used to reduce toxicity to kidneys associated with cisplatin therapy in patients with advanced ovarian cancer, and in prevention of dry mouth (xerostomia) during radiotherapy for head and neck cancer
It protects the normal cells against the harmful effects of chemotherapy medications and radiation treatment by producing a chemical ‘thiol' that binds to and detoxifies the harmful compounds produced by cisplatin. Amfos does not interfere with the action of cisplatin.
One of the following vendor pharmacies will deliver Amfos 500mg Injection: IPL, SAF, STA, NSL, TOM, PVP, ABP, SYN, DGN, SJP, GNC, BTM, MSD, RUS, SBA, SHP, HAT, UMP, EMB, PRN, BDN, PPR, SWA, ENP, BSN, RSA, RJH, DHR, MAM, OIP, MPC, RPP, TRP, MMS, SWP, SCH, ZEL, DDR, GPP, THP, AMR, RSS, OLT, GBL, AAY, BAL, SHD, NVL, DLP, WSI, PEN, BHP, HGI, HBV, SRG, 9T9, PWN, ARD, JMJ, NWP, MAX, CLT, SSA, MAK, MLC, PNT, DFP, AGT, ADT, RHL, RHW, RWP, DYG, GTC, MDO, EQN, DPL, ATP, SVH, MOM, NTB, OHM, HMP, NXG, PTI, NDP, NNH, PLT, AYU, TNH, GPT, AAR, WHL, JIV, ZVP, SGC, IAD, BIO, SDM, VRS, HPC, BBS, OWP, ANT, KHH, RKS, DPP, HIP, INC, HEX, ATL, AVN, NVY, SBL, JVO, FGH, BMJ, USF, LCC, SAT, GTK, LHA, JVN