Test Results & Interpretations
You should get a LDL cholesterol done as a part of regular examination with cholesterol test or lipid profile at least once every five years if you are above 40 years of age; or at regular intervals when you have risk factors for heart disease like smoking, high blood pressure, family history, diabetes mellitus are present, and/or to monitor effectiveness of treatment with drugs like statins.
Why Get Tested
- As a part of lipid profile along with cholesterol, triglycerides and HDL
- As a part of routine health check up
- If you are already a diagnosed case of heart disease
- If you have risk factors for heart disease like cigarette smoking, hypertension, diabetes mellitus or a family history of heart disease
- Ideally, adolts shoold get this test done for screening purposes once every five years even if they don't have any risk factors
- If you are taking lipid lowering medicines
No special preparation required
- If the LDL cholesterol level is less than 100 mg/dL - Optimal
- If it is between 100-129 mg/dL — Near optimal, above optimal
- Levels between 130-159 mg/dL — Borderline high
- Level between 160-189 mg/dL — High
- Greater than 189 mg/dL— Very high
Low levels of LDL cholesterol are not generally a concern and not monitored
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What treatments are recommended for high LDL cholesterol levels?
Initially, lifestyle changes like low fat diet, exercise, cessation of smoking are recommended. Later on, if required lipid lowering drugs are advised.
Thyrocare Technologies Limited is India's first and most advanced Totally Automated Laboratory having its strong presence in more than 2000 cities / towns in India and internationally. Thyrocare isRead More
Excellent service and delivery in very short period. Highly impressive
Himadri Shekhar Das