Tazobactam is an antibiotic used in combination with another antibiotic called piperacillin to treat many infections caused by bacteria, such as urinary tract infections, bone and joint infections, severe vaginal infections, stomach infections, skin infections, and pneumonia. It is also used to treat complicated intra-abdominal infections including inflammation of the membrane which lines the inside of the abdomen and the entire internal organs It is also used to treat decrease in white blood cells (neutropenia) with fever due to bacterial infection.
How it works
Tazobactam belongs to group of medicines called beta lactamase Inhibitor It works by preventing destruction of beta-lactam antibiotics from chemicals released from bacteria and extends their spectrum of activity.
Common side effects
Liver enzyme increased, Bruise, Bleeding, Constipation, Diarrhoea, Altered taste, Shortness of breath, Flatulence, Headache, Insomnia, Itching, Skin rash, Stomach upset, Vomiting
AVAILABLE MEDICINENo medicine available
- It is given as an infusion (a drip for 30 minutes) into a vein.
- Tell the doctor if you have to provide a blood or urine sample for any test because tazobactam and piperacillin may cause false positive results.
Do not start or continue the tazobactam/piperacillin and consult your doctor:
- If you are suffering from diarrhea before, or during the treatment with the drug.
- If you have kidney or liver problems, low levels of potassium in the blood, or are receiving hemodialysis.
- If you develop new or worsening infection, or fits (convulsions) during the treatment.
- If you are on a controlled-sodium diet.
- If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is tazobactam a sulfa (sulfonamide) drug?
Sulbactam does not contain sulfa. It is a beta lactamase Inhibitor.
Q. What is tazobactam sodium?
Tazobactam is a beta-lactamase inhibitor used as the sodium salt to increase the antibacterial activity of piperacillin.
Q. What is tazact 4.5?
Tazact 4.5 is the brand name for combination of tazobactam and piperacillin.
Q. What organisms does tazobactam/piperacillin cover?
Tazobactam in combination with piperacillin is mainly effective against anaerobes and enterococcus, listeria, staphylococcus, citrobacter, haemophilus, moraxella and proteus species but methicillin-resistant staphylococci are resistant to tazobactam/piperacillin.
Q. Is tazobactam safe?
Tazobactam is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.