Information about Silymarin
Silymarin is used in the treatment of cholestatic liver diseases, alcoholic fatty liver disease and non-alcoholic fatty liver.
How silymarin works
Silymarin is an active principle obtained from milk thistle seed (Silybum marianum) . It might protect liver cells from toxic chemicals and drugs. It also seems to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. Milk thistle plant extract might enhance the effects of estrogen..
Common side effects of silymarin
Nausea, Abdominal bloating, Diarrhoea, Indigestion, Loss of appetite, Stomach pain, Stomach upset, Back pain, Hair loss, Dizziness, Abdominal pain, Itching, Rash
Available Medicine for Silymarin
- ₹95 to ₹246Micro Labs Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹84 to ₹159Emcee Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹70 to ₹98Serum Institute Of India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹70 to ₹125Geno Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹153Signova Pharma Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹230Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹110 to ₹178Salud Care India Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹109Mapra Laboratories Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹65 to ₹167Shrinivas Gujarat Laboratories Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹82 to ₹133Ravian Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Silymarin
- Do not take antacids that contain aluminum while you are taking the Silymarin. This is because antacids decrease the amount of Silymarin absorbed by the body.
- Notify your doctor if you are breast-feeding.
- Silymarin should be taken preferably after meals.
Frequently asked questions for Silymarin
Q. Is silymarin/milk thistle safe?
Silymarin is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is silymarin same as milk thistle?
Yes, silymarin is a compound obtained from milk thistle seed
Q. Is silymarin good for liver?
Silymarin acts as liver protectant and has been found to be effective for certain liver disease. Always follow your doctor's advice regarding its use
Q. Is silymarin good for kidney?
It is good for kidney as found in some studie
Q. Is silymarin a flavonoidYes ,it contains a mixture of flavonolignans consisting of silibinin, isosilibinin, silicristin and silidianin.Is silymarin a blood thinner?
No, it acts as liver protectant
Q. Does silymarin protect liver?
Yes, silymarin acts as liver protectant
Q. Does silymarin cause low cholesterol level, diarrhea, lower bilirubin?
Diahhrea is the common side effect of silymarin. No clinically observable effect on cholesterol and bilirubin has been reported. Patient should follow doctor's advice regarding possible side effects
Q. Does silymarin have estrogen?
No, however it may acts like estrogen.