Information about Roflumilast
Roflumilast is used to prevent chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder.
How roflumilast works
Roflumilast works by relaxing the muscles in the walls of the airways. This opens the airways and makes breathing easier.
Common side effects of roflumilast
Headache, Weight loss, Dizziness, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Back pain, Nausea, Diarrhoea, Decreased appetite, Influenza
Available Medicine for Roflumilast
- ₹137Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹125Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹125Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹137Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹125MSN Laboratories1 variant(s)
- ₹125Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹125Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹125Koye Pharmaceuticals Pvt ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹135Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹125Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Roflumilast
- Roflumilast is not effective and should not be used for sudden attacks of breathlessness (acute bronchospasm).
- You should not take roflumilast if you have a history of depression and suicidal behavior/thoughts.
- You should have your weight monitored regularly. Stop taking roflumilast and seek advice if you experience unexplained and significant weight loss while on treatment.
- Roflumilast controls COPD but does not cure it. It is important to continue taking roflumilast even if you feel well unless advised otherwise.
- Roflumilast may cause dizziness, which can aggravate with alcohol intake. Do not drive or operate any machinery until you feel fine.
- You should not take roflumilast if you have any serious disease affecting your immune system (HIV, multiple sclerosis, lupus erythematosus, progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy) or if you are receiving treatments that act on your immune system for certain cancers or serious infections.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Roflumilast
Q. Is Roflumilast a methylxanthine?
No. Roflumilast is not a methylxanthine and works via a different mechanism of action
Q. Is Roflumilast available in India?
Yes. Roflumilast is available in India in the form of 500 mcg tablet
Q. Is Roflumilast a steroid/ narcotic?
No. Roflumilast belongs to a class of drugs called phosphodiesterase inhibitors. It does not have a chemical structure or effects similar to steroids. It does not induce sleep and is not a narcotic drug
Q. What is Roflumilast used for?
Roflumilast is used as a maintenance treatment for severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD; a group of lung disorders in which the flow of air to the lungs is blocked) in patients with frequent worsening of COPD symptoms (COPD exacerbations) and with long-term inflammation of airways (chronic bronchitis)
Q. How does Roflumilast work?
Roflumilast is used to prevent worsening of symptoms in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD; a group of lung disorders in which the flow of air to the lungs is blocked) and long-term inflammation of airways (chronic bronchitis)
Q. How long does Roflumilast take to work?
Roflumilast may need to be taken for several weeks to achieve its effects and may vary upon individual response. Please follow advice of your doctor regarding dose and duration.