Information about Medroxyprogesterone acetate
Medroxyprogesterone acetate uses
How medroxyprogesterone acetate works
Medroxyprogesterone acetate is a progestin (female hormone). It works by replacing the natural progesterone hormone that the body is unable to make. This treats painful, irregular/absent menstrual periods and prevents overgrowth of the lining of the uterus in menopausal women taking oestrogen (another female hormone). It also works as a contraceptive.
Common side effects of medroxyprogesterone acetate
Headache, Irregular menstrual cycle, Abdominal pain, Weakness, Nervousness, Dizziness
Available Medicine for Medroxyprogesterone acetate
- ₹20 to ₹59Serum Institute Of India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹195Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹336Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹150DKT India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹55Sanzyme Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹56Corona Remedies Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹175Mylan Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹51Obsurge Biotech Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹56Maneesh Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹50Vhb Life Sciences Inc1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Medroxyprogesterone acetate
- Medroxyprogesterone acetate is used for a wide range of menstrual disorders such as heavy, painful or absent periods, and endometriosis.
- In high doses, it is used in the treatment of breast cancer and endometrial (lining of the uterus) cancer.
- It may cause bleeding or spotting in between menstrual periods. Let your doctor know if this occurs frequently.
- Stop taking Medroxyprogesterone acetate and inform your doctor immediately if you get severe headaches, stabbing pains or swelling in one leg, pain on breathing, sudden changes in your vision or hearing, or yellowing of your skin or whites of your eyes.
- Use a non-hormonal method of contraception such as condoms to prevent pregnancy while you are taking this medication.
- Do not take Medroxyprogesterone acetate if you're pregnant or breastfeeding, have unusual vaginal bleeding, or have a history of blood clots, stroke, heart attack, liver problems, or bleeding problems.
Frequently asked questions for Medroxyprogesterone acetate
Q. What is Medroxyprogesterone acetate and what is it used for?
Medroxyprogesterone acetate works similar to the progesterone hormone naturally produced by the body. It helps in regulating the periods, stop irregular bleeding, and for withdrawal bleeding in case of amenorrhea (unusual stopping of menstrual periods). It is also used to prevent endometrial hyperplasia (thickening of the lining of the uterus) in women who are taking conjugated estrogens.
Q. When and how to take Medroxyprogesterone acetate?
Take it strictly as per the advice of your doctor. The number of doses you take each day, and the duration depends on the medical problem for which your doctor has advised. You can take it with or without food, preferably at the same time of each day to ensure consistent levels of medicine in your body.
Q. What if I miss to take Medroxyprogesterone acetate?
If you miss a dose, you should take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost a time for the next dose, do not take the missed dose, simply continue the usual dosing schedule. Missing a dose may increase the likelihood of breakthrough vaginal bleeding or spotting (blood stain).
Q. What are the common side effects which I can experience while taking Medroxyprogesterone acetate?
The common side effects of using Medroxyprogesterone acetate are headache, nausea (feeling sick), weight gain, breast pain, and unusual vaginal bleeding or spotting. Most of these symptoms are temporary. However, if they persist, check with your doctor as soon as possible.
Q. Is Medroxyprogesterone acetate a contraceptive?
No, use an effective form of birth control to prevent pregnancy. If you think you have become pregnant while using the medicine, tell your doctor right away.
Q. How Medroxyprogesterone tablet and Depo-Provera are different?
Depo-Provera is an injection form of Medroxyprogesterone. It is used as a contraceptive injection for women, whereas Medroxyprogesterone tablet is not used as a contraceptive. Instead, it treats a wide variety of menstrual disorders.