Information about Liraglutide
Liraglutide is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
How liraglutide works
Liraglutide works by stimulating the pancreas to secrete more insulin when blood sugar levels are high. It also lowers the sugar hormone (glucagon) and slows the emptying of the stomach. Insulin lowers blood sugar from the blood into other body tissues where it is used for energy.
Common side effects of liraglutide
Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Hypoglycaemia (Low blood sugar level) in combination with insulin or sulphonylurea
Available Medicine for Liraglutide
- ₹4840Novo Nordisk India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Liraglutide
- The dose can be administered at any time of day, with or without meals.
- It is injected under the skin (subcutaneous injection) of your stomach area (abdomen) or upper leg (thigh). If the injection is given by someone else, they may inject in your upper arm.
- Do not change the dose without consulting your doctor.
- Report to your doctor if you experience abdominal pain while taking this medicines.
- If a dose is missed, it should be taken as soon as possible if there are at least 3 days (72 hours) until the next scheduled dose. If less than 3 days remain before the next scheduled dose, the missed dose should be skipped and the next dose should be administered on the regularly scheduled day. In each case, patients can then resume their regular once weekly dosing schedule.
Frequently asked questions for Liraglutide
Q. Is liraglutide insulin?
Liraglutide is not insulin
Q. what is liraglutide made from?
Liraglutide belongs to the class of drugs called incretin mimetics such as human-glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1).It is a synthetic (man-made) hormone which acts like GLP-1
Q. What is liraglutide used for?
It is used as an adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes
Q. Is liraglutide FDA approved?
Yes, it is approved by FDA
Q. Is liraglutide safe?
Liraglutide is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is liraglutide licensed/ approved with insulin?
Liraglutide is licensed/ approved with insulin
Q. Is liraglutide a biologic?
Liraglutide is not a biologic, it is a synthetic glucagon-like peptide-1
Q. Does liraglutide cause weight loss/ weight gain?
Liraglutide causes weight loss by reducing hunger and lowering energy intake
Q. How long does liraglutide take to work?
Liraglutide is absorbed in the blood as soon as it is injected and acts immediately.