Information about Liraglutide
Liraglutide is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes. It is used in addition to diet and exercise to improve blood sugar control in adults with type 2 diabetes.
How liraglutide works
Liraglutide is an anti-diabetic medication. It works by increasing the release of insulin from the pancreas, decreases hormones that raise blood sugar levels, slows down gastric emptying and reduces appetite.
Common side effects of liraglutide
Nausea, Vomiting, Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar level) in combination with insulin or sulphonylurea, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Liraglutide
- ₹4840Novo Nordisk India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Liraglutide
- Liraglutide may cause nausea. To avoid it, eat smaller meals, limit fatty food intake and stop eating when you feel full.
- Notify your doctor immediately if you have severe and/or persistent upper abdominal pain.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If the next dose is within the 72 hours, then skip the missed dose.
- Store the pen in the refrigerator. When refrigeration is not possible, you can also keep your pen at room temperature (less than 30°C) for upto 2 weeks.
- Liraglutide helps to control blood glucose levels and prevents long-term complications of diabetes.
- You should continue to exercise regularly, eat a healthy diet, and take your other diabetes medicines (if prescribed) along with Liraglutide.
Frequently asked questions for Liraglutide
Q. Is Liraglutide insulin?
Liraglutide is not insulin
Q. what is Liraglutide made from?
Liraglutide belongs to the class of drugs called incretin mimetics such as human-glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1).It is a synthetic (man-made) hormone which acts like GLP-1
Q. What is Liraglutide used for?
It is used as an adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes
Q. Is Liraglutide FDA approved?
Yes, it is approved by FDA
Q. Is Liraglutide safe?
Liraglutide is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Liraglutide licensed/ approved with insulin?
Liraglutide is licensed/ approved with insulin
Q. Is Liraglutide a biologic?
Liraglutide is not a biologic, it is a synthetic glucagon-like peptide-1
Q. Does Liraglutide cause weight loss/ weight gain?
Liraglutide causes weight loss by reducing hunger and lowering energy intake
Q. How long does Liraglutide take to work?
Liraglutide is absorbed in the blood as soon as it is injected and acts immediately.