Information about Ipratropium
How ipratropium works
Ipratropium is an anticholinergic medication. It works by relaxing the muscles in the airways and widens the airways. This makes breathing easier.
Common side effects of ipratropium
Breathlessness, Dryness in mouth, Cough, Nosebleeds, Bitter taste, Nasal dryness
Available Medicine for Ipratropium
- ₹26 to ₹152Cipla Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹39Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹125AstraZeneca1 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹152Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹138Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ipratropium
- Ipratropium makes breathing easier for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma.
- This medicine is for inhalation only. The tablet should not be swallowed.
- It should be taken at the same time each day.
- It does not work right away and should not be used to relieve sudden breathing problems. Use your rescue inhaler to control sudden difficulty in breathing.
- Dry mouth may occur as a side effect. Frequent mouth rinses, good oral hygiene, increased water intake and sugarless candy may help.
- Gargle with warm water after each inhalation to avoid any fungal infections in your mouth and throat.
- Take the first dose under medical supervision as it may cause wheezing or tightening of the airways (bronchospasm) immediately after using.
- Your doctor may monitor your blood potassium level regularly while taking this medication.
- Only small amounts of Ipratropium may get absorbed into the bloodstream after inhalation. Hence, serious side effects are unlikely.
Frequently asked questions for Ipratropium
Q. Is Ipratropium a steroid?
No, Ipratropium is not a steroid
Q. Is Ipratropium a narcotic?
No, Ipratropium is not a narcotic
Q. Does it contain opium?
It does not contain opium or its derivative
Q. Does Ipratropium cause weight gain?
Ipratropium has no known effects on weight gain
Q. Does Ipratropium cause constipation?
Yes, constipation is a known side effect of Ipratropium
Q. Does Ipratropium cause tachycardia (increased heart rate)?
Ipratropium may sometimes cause tachycardia (increased heart rate) in some patients. It is not a common side effect of Ipratropium
Q. Does Ipratropium cause an increase in blood pressure?
Ipratropium has no known effects on blood pressure
Q. Is ipratropium bromide the same as albuterol?
Ipratropium bromide and albuterol are 2 different medicines. They have the same action. They relax the air passages and make breathing easier (bronchodilators)
Q. Does ipratropium/ ipratropium bromide contain albuterol?
Combination medicines containing both ipratropium bromide and albuterol sulphate are available to treat asthma and associated conditions
Q. Is ipratropium bromide the same as budesonide?
Ipratropium/ipratropium bromide and budesonide belong to different class of medicines but both are used either alone or in combination to treat bronchitis, asthma and associated conditions
Q. Is Ipratropium bromide a bronchodilator?
Yes, Ipratropium/ Ipratropium bromide is a bronchodilator used to treat bronchitis, asthma and associated conditions
Q. Is Ipratropium bromide a long acting bronchodilator?
No, Ipratropium/ Ipratropium bromide is a short-acting bronchodilator
Q. Is Ipratropium bromide an antihistaminic/antibiotic or is it an anticholinergic?
Ipratropium is neither antihistamine nor an antibiotic. It belongs to a class of anticholinergic bronchodilators
Q. Is Ipratropium bromide a short-acting anticholinergic?
Yes, Ipratropium/ Ipratropium bromide is a short-acting anticholinergic bronchodilator
Q. Is Ipratropium safe for infants?
Yes, Ipratropium is safely used in infants. . Patients should follow advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Is Ipratropium bromide a rescue inhaler?
No, Ipratropium is a bronchodilator for the maintenance treatment of bronchospasm. It is not indicated for the initial treatment of acute episodes of bronchospasm where rescue therapy is required
Q. Can Ipratropium bromide used alone?
Yes, Ipratropium bromide can be used alone as a maintenance therapy in the treatment of bronchospasm, asthma and other associated conditions
Q. Does Ipratropium bromide expire?
Yes, Ipratropium bromide formulations have an expiry date. Please Read the details on the package for the correct expiry date.