Information about Gatifloxacin
Gatifloxacin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is also used in infections of urinary tract, tonsils, sinus, nose, throat, female genital organ, skin and soft tissues, windpipe and lungs (pneumonia).
How gatifloxacin works
Gatifloxacin is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by preventing them from reproducing and repairing themselves. This treats your infection.
Common side effects of gatifloxacin
Nausea, Diarrhoea, Allergic reaction
Available Medicine for Gatifloxacin
- ₹100Meryl Pharma1 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹63Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹56Agron Remedies Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹23Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹85Abbott2 variant(s)
- ₹22Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹35Synchem Lab1 variant(s)
- ₹21 to ₹24Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹45Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹88Parenteral Drugs India Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Gatifloxacin
- Your doctor has prescribed Gatifloxacin to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better.
- Discontinue Gatifloxacin and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Notify your doctor if you feel pain in your tendons, numbness, or tingling sensations.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Gatifloxacin
Q. What does Gatifloxacin treat?
Gatifloxacin treats bacterial eye infection (conjunctivitis or red eye) in adults and children older than 1 year of age
Q. Is gatifloxacin the same as ofloxacin?
Both gatifloxacin and ofloxacin belongs to the different class, i.e. gatifloxacin is second-generation fluoroquinolone whereas ofloxacin is older and first-generation, but their effect may vary upon individual condition or response
Q. Is Gatifloxacin the same as Zymaxid?
Zymaxid is the brand name for Gatifloxacin eye solution
Q. Does Gatifloxacin contain sulfa?
Gatifloxacin does not contain sulfa. It is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic
Q. Is Gatifloxacin banned in India?
Gatifloxacin is banned in India for systemic use in human by any route including oral and injectable. Its use as eye drop is not banned.