Information about Gatifloxacin
Gatifloxacin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How gatifloxacin works
Gatifloxacin is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by inhibiting the DNA replication.
Common side effects of gatifloxacin
Nausea, Diarrhoea, Allergic reaction.
Available Medicine for Gatifloxacin
- ₹80Meryl Pharma1 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹63Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹32Indchemie Health Specialities Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹38Wockhardt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹87 to ₹139Panacea Biotec Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹59Seagull Labs (I) Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹26J B Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹61Vanguard Therapeutics Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹43Elder Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹25Khandelwal Laboratories Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Gatifloxacin
- Use eye drops as recommended in the information leaflet or as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not wear contact lenses, if you have bacterial conjunctivitis or you are applying eye drops.
- Do not drive or operate machinery as you may have blurred vision after using the medicine.
- Doctor’s advice should be considered in case of patients with following history of disease conditions: loss of memory and mental ability (Alzheimer disease), inflammation of a part of tendon that attach muscles to the bone (tendonitis), fits (seizures), or any other central nervous system problems, or increased pressure in the head; low blood potassium levels, diabetes, kidney, liver or heart problems.
- If long-term or repeated use of gatifloxacin drops may cause a second infection.
- Do not take gatifloxacin, if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Avoid using gatifloxacin, if you take coffee or other beverages containing caffeine during treatment.
Frequently asked questions for Gatifloxacin
Q. What does gatifloxacin treat?
Gatifloxacin treats bacterial eye infection (conjunctivitis or red eye) in adults and children older than 1 year of age
Q. Is gatifloxacin the same as ofloxacin?
Both gatifloxacin and ofloxacin belongs to the different class, i.e. gatifloxacin is second-generation fluoroquinolone whereas ofloxacin is older and first-generation, but their effect may vary upon individual condition or response
Q. Is gatifloxacin the same as Zymaxid?
Zymaxid is the brand name for gatifloxacin eye solution
Q. Does gatifloxacin contain sulfa?
Gatifloxacin does not contain sulfa. It is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic
Q. Is gatifloxacin banned in India?
Gatifloxacin is banned in India for systemic use in human by any route including oral and injectable. Its use as eye drop is not banned.