Information about Formoterol
How formoterol works
Formoterol is a long-acting bronchodilator. It works by relaxing the muscles in the airways and makes breathing easier.
Common side effects of formoterol
Tremor, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Headache, Dryness in mouth, Palpitations, Restlessness, Muscle cramp
Available Medicine for Formoterol
- ₹21Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹67Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹17Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Formoterol
- Do not use formoterol inhalation to treat an asthma attack that has already begun.
- Do not use this drug, if you are allergic to formoterol.
- Never place a capsule in the mouthpiece of the inhaler.
- Consult your doctor before taking formoterol, If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breast feeding.
- It should be taken as an inhaler or nebulizer after clearly following instructions of the doctor and the instructions given in the patient information leaflet in the medication box.
Frequently asked questions for Formoterol
Q. Is Formoterol a steroid?
Formoterol belongs to a class of medication called long acting beta agonists. It is not a steroid; however it is available in combination with steroids as an inhaler
Q. How long does it take to work and how long does it stay in the body?
Formoterol works best if taken before exercising or heavy work and another dose should not be taken in the next 12 hours. It is a long acting drug which is known to be effective for 12 hours in the body
Q. How does Formoterol work?
Formoterol belongs to a class of medication called long acting beta agonists. It helps in relaxing the muscles of the air passages, thus widening it and making it easier to breathe
Q. What form does Formoterol come in?
Formoterol comes as a powder filled capsule for inhaler and a solution for nebulizer use
Q. What is formoterol fumarate/formoterol fumarate dihydrate/formoterol and budesonide/formoterol and advair?
Formoterol fumarate and formoterol fumerate dihydrate are different formulations of formoterol. Budesonide is a steroid which may be prescribed by the doctor along with formoterol. Advair is another long acting beta agonist which is the brand name for salmeterol and fluticasone
Q. Is Formoterol safe?
Formoterol is safe when taken as per the directions of the doctor
Q. is Formoterol banned?
Formoterol is not banned
Q. Does Formoterol cause weight gain?
There are no studies showing that Formoterol causes weight gain
Q. Does Formoterol cause death/asthma-related death?
Formoterol may increase risk of asthma-related death. It depends on the condition and co-morbidities and is individual response.