Information about Celecoxib
Celecoxib is used for pain relief, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and pain during menstruation.
How celecoxib works
Celecoxib is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) called COX-2 inhibitors. It works by blocking the release of certain chemical messengers that are responsible for pain and inflammation (redness and swelling).
Common side effects of celecoxib
Flu-like symptoms, Indigestion, Stomach pain, Diarrhea, Peripheral edema, Flatulence
Available Medicine for Celecoxib
- ₹121 to ₹210Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹42 to ₹62Ipca Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹128Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹44 to ₹72Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹36 to ₹67Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹41 to ₹86Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹78 to ₹184Abbott2 variant(s)
- ₹50 to ₹52Veritaz Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹41 to ₹72Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹27 to ₹40Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Celecoxib
- Celecoxib helps relieve pain and inflammation.
- It may cause fewer stomach problems as compared to other NSAIDs like Ibuprofen or Naproxen.
- It may cause dizziness and fatigue. Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Do not consume alcohol while on treatment with this medicine as it may cause excessive drowsiness.
- Regularly monitor your blood pressure while taking this medicine, particularly in the first two weeks after starting treatment.
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of stomach ulcers, heart diseases, high blood pressure, and liver or kidney disease.
- During long-term treatment, your doctor may want to take regular blood tests to monitor your liver function.
- Do not take Celecoxib if you are pregnant, planning to conceive, or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Celecoxib
Q. Is Celecoxib banned in India?
No. Celecoxib is not banned in India. It is legally available on prescription
Q. Is Celecoxib gluten free?
Yes. Celecoxib is gluten free. However, please refer to package insert of the prescribed brand before use
Q. Is Celecoxib the same as Celebrex?
Yes. Celebrex is one of the brand names of Celecoxib available in the market
Q. Is Celecoxib safe?
Yes. Celecoxib is relatively safe if used as recommended. In case of any side-effects, consult your doctor
Q. Is Celecoxib a narcotic or addictive drug?
No. Celecoxib is not a narcotic or addictive drug
Q. Does Celecoxib cause drowsiness, weight gain or constipation?
Celecoxib may cause drowsiness, weight gain or constipation. If you experience any such symptoms, please consult your doctor
Q. Does celecoxib contain aspirin, codeine or sulfa?
No. Celecoxib is by itself a type of medicinal compound. It does not contain aspirin, codeine or sulfa
Q. How does Celecoxib work?
Celecoxib works by inhibiting the formation of chemicals called prostaglandins in the body that cause pain and inflammation, thereby reducing the pain and swelling symptoms.