Information about Benzthiazide
Benzthiazide is used in Hypertension (high blood pressure). It treats oedema (fluid overload) associated with heart, liver, kidney or lung disease.
How Benzthiazide works
Benzthiazide is a thiazide diuretic. It lowers blood pressure and fluid retention in edema by removing the extra water and certain electrolytes from the body. Over time it also works by relaxing blood vessels and improving blood flow.
Common side effects of Benzthiazide
Headache, Nausea, Increased blood uric acid, Decreased potassium level in blood, Glucose intolerance, Altered blood lipid level
Available Medicine for Benzthiazide
Expert advice for Benzthiazide
- Monitor your blood pressure after starting Benzthiazide, and notify your doctor if it does not lower down.
- Notify your doctor if you experience dizziness, tiredness, or muscle weakness that does not go away.
- It makes you feel dizzy. Avoid driving and attention requiring activity until you know how it affects you.
- Avoid alcohol intake while taking Benzthiazide as it may increase the dizziness.
- It may cause a sudden drop of sodium level in blood. Avoid low sodium diet while you are taking this medication.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning pregnancy or breastfeeding.