Information about Azilsartan medoxomil
Azilsartan medoxomil uses
Azilsartan medoxomil is used in the treatment of Hypertension (high blood pressure), Heart failure and prevention of heart attack and stroke.
How azilsartan medoxomil works
Azilsartan medoxomil is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB). It relaxes blood vessel by blocking the action of a chemical that usually makes blood vessels tighter. This lowers the blood pressure, allowing the blood to flow more smoothly to different organs and the heart to pump more efficiently.
Common side effects of azilsartan medoxomil
Dizziness, Back pain, Sinus inflammation, Increased potassium level in blood
Available Medicine for Azilsartan medoxomil
- ₹108 to ₹200Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹119 to ₹213Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹41 to ₹181Lupin Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹90 to ₹165Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹90 to ₹176Mankind Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹83 to ₹165Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹77 to ₹130USV Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹74 to ₹140Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹91 to ₹159Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹85 to ₹154Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Azilsartan medoxomil
- Take it at the same time every day to help you remember to take it.
- It can make you feel dizzy for the first few days. Rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down for a long time.
- Your doctor may get regular tests done to monitor the level of urea, creatinine, and potassium in your blood.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen, along with this medicine without consulting your doctor.
- Do not take Azilsartan medoxomil if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not stop taking it suddenly without talking to your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Azilsartan medoxomil
Q. Is Azilsartan medoxomil better than telmisartan?
Both Azilsartan medoxomil and telmisartan are blood pressure-lowering medicines. Azilsartan medoxomil is a relatively new medicine. It has been found to be as effective as telmisartan in lowering blood pressure. It can be safely used in patients as it has fewer side effects.
Q. How should I take Azilsartan medoxomil?
You should take Azilsartan medoxomil exactly as directed by your doctor. It is for oral use and is usually taken once a day. You should take it with plenty of water, with or without food. It is recommended that you take this medicine at the same time every day.
Q. Can I stop Azilsartan medoxomil on my own?
No, do not stop taking Azilsartan medoxomil without speaking to your doctor, even if you are feeling well or your blood pressure is controlled. Stopping it suddenly may increase your blood pressure which may increase your risk of stroke.
Q. How long does Azilsartan medoxomil take to start working?
Azilsartan medoxomil may take about 2 weeks to show a visible reduction in blood pressure. Full benefits of Azilsartan medoxomil may take a little longer, about 4 weeks.
Q. What are the symptoms of overdose of Azilsartan medoxomil?
Taking more than the recommended dose of Azilsartan medoxomil may decrease your blood pressure due to which you may feel dizzy or may even faint. Consult your doctor immediately or seek emergency medical aid in a nearby hospital.
Q. Which class does Azilsartan medoxomil belong to?
Azilsartan medoxomil belongs to a class of medicines called angiotensin II receptor antagonists (AIIRAs). Angiotensin II is a substance which occurs naturally in the body. It tightens the blood vessels, which in turn increases the blood pressure. Azilsartan medoxomil blocks this effect so that the blood vessels relax, which helps lower your blood pressure.
Q. What is the most important information I should know about Azilsartan medoxomil?
It is important for you to know that this medicine can cause harm or death to your unborn baby. Therefore, if you are planning a pregnancy or have become pregnant, consult your doctor right away. Your doctor may switch you to a different medicine to treat your high blood pressure.
Q. Who should not take Azilsartan medoxomil?
You should not take Azilsartan medoxomil if you are allergic to it or if you are pregnant. Avoid its use if you have diabetes or impaired kidney function and are being treated with a blood pressure-lowering medicine containing aliskiren.