Overview of Cholesterol - HDL
What is Cholesterol - HDL?
As part of a regular health exam with a cholesterol test or lipid profile; at least once every five years in adults; children should have a lipid profile screening at least once between the ages of 9 and 11 and then again between the ages of 17 and 21. It is ordered frequently if you have risk factors for heart diseases like smoking, high blood pressure, family history, diabetes mellitus.
Why is Cholesterol - HDL done?
- As a part of lipid profile along with cholesterol, triglycerides and LDL
- As a part of routine health check up
- If you are already a diagnosed case of heart disease
- If you have risk factors for heart disease like cigarette smoking, hypertension, diabetes mellitus or a family history of heart disease
- Ideally, adolts shoold get this test done for screening purposes once every five years even if they don't have any risk factors
Preparation for Cholesterol - HDL
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for Cholesterol - HDL
The sample type collected for Cholesterol - HDL is: Blood
Interpreting Cholesterol - HDL results
- Since HDL is called as "Good Cholesterol", therefore, higher levels are considered better and are associated with less than average increased risk of heart disease
- HDL Cholesterol level between 40 - 50 mg/dl in men and between 50-59 mg/dl in women is considered normal
- HDL level below 40 mg/dl in men and below 50 mg/dl is low and is associated with increased risk of heart disease
- HDL level more than 60 mg/dl is high and is associated with less than average risk of heart disease
For over a hundred years, human pathology has been one of the keystones of medicine and rightly so at SRL, we offer our patients world-class Pathology services because their well-being is of the utmost importance to us. Pathology is quite simply the scientific study of the overall response of your body to any foreign influence, i.e., disease. Actually, we use this knowledge to diagnose & subsequently treat your ailment. What we basically do is carefully compare the normal structure and function of a human body (anatomy and physiology) to the abnormal structure and function we witness in an unwell human. Doing this is the most crucial phase & we take note of even the minutest details while adjudging the extent of your ailment because one slip can lead to an incorrect diagnosis, posing serious threat to your health. Our experts ensure that they are extremely careful while analyzing the samples. This is where our advanced technology chips in. SRL is proud to host state-of-the-art equipments based on the latest technology for a speedy and accurate result. We do not take any chances whatsoever with your health & well-being. Avail our Pathology services with no hesitation. You are always in good hands with SRL.