NABL, CAP, ISO
Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone
It is done to screen for and diagnose thyroid disorders. You should get this test done if you have symptoms of hyperthyroidism like weight loss, nervousness, tremors or hypothyroidism like weight gain, constipation, fatigue, cold intolerance. These days, this test is widely used for screening newborns. It can also help to diagnose and monitor infertility problems in women. If you are already taking anti thyroid medications, this test is helpful in monitoring thyroid replacement therapy. High TSH level is usually indicative of hypothyroidism while low levels usually indicate hyperthyroidism.
Why Get Tested
- If you have symptoms of low levels of thyroid hormone like weight gain, constipation, cold intolerance, fatigue
- If you have symptoms of high levels of thyroid hormone like weight loss, anxiety, palpitations, difficolty in sleeping
- To monitor the treatment if you are already diagnosed with thyroid disease
- Infertility work up
- Newborn screening - Since hypothyroidism has become such a common entity in females these days, that is why many institutes now recommend a mandatory neonatal screening
- No special preparation required
What Results of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone mean?
- If your TSH level is increased, it usually indicates that you have hypothyroidism. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is the most common cause of primary hypothyroidism.
- If your TSH level is decreased, it usually indicates hyperthyroidism. Grave’s disease, multi nodular goitre, toxic nodule are some of the common causes of hyperthyroidism.
- Whether high or low, an abnormal TSH indicates an excess or deficiency in the amount of thyroid hormone available to your body, but it does not indicate the reason why. So, additional tests like free T3 and T4 should be done to confirm the cause.
Established in 1995, Lifecare is the country's premier full-service diagnostic center with laboratory, providing expertise in imaging and digital pathology services. Our integrated diagnostic services help doctors personalize patient care to optimally treat disease and maintain health and wellness. We are committed to providing only the highest level of testing quality and service and working with you to provide unique solutions to your most challenging needs. A highly skilled team of medical professionals including physicians, scientists, medical technologists, medical technicians, lab assistants, biologists, chemists, microbiologists, geneticists, and other specialists work collaboratively. The department receives specimens for testing from patients and collection centers and is a reference laboratory for other clinics and hospitals both nationally and internationally. Lifecare's mission is to support the local delivery of laboratory services through the provision of exceptional reference laboratory services and by providing support services that facilitate and augment community integration efforts. We ensure Quality control programs that exceed industry guidelines for every patient sample. Proactive internal quality control team consisting of pathologists and laboratory personnel ensuring consistency and accuracy of specimen processing and diagnosis Our staff recognizes that specimens are patients, not just accession numbers in our lab. They are dedicated to combining the newest technologies, expertise, and quality in every sample they process.