Overview of X - Ray Left Thumb AP LAT View
An X-ray of the thumb is a safe and painless test to visualise the bones of the thumb and the soft tissues (skin and muscles) surrounding it using small amount of radiation. The image is recorded on a special X-ray film. The X-ray image is black and white. Dense structures such as the bones, appear white and softer body tissues, such as the skin and muscles appear darker. The actual exposure time to radiation is usually less than a second, although the overall test may take 15-20 minutes.
Why Get Tested
- To diagnose any fractures of the bones of the thumb and to monitor the healing of the broken bone, after it has been set.
- To diagnose any suspected infection, osteoporosis, deformities or abnormal growth of the bones and arthritis of the joints.
- Pregnant women should inform their doctor (and x-ray technician) as the radiations may affect the fetus. If needed, precautions can be taken to lower the radiation exposure to the fetus.
- You may have to remove your jewelry and any metal objects which might interfere with the image.
- Depending on the area to be imaged, you may be asked to wear a hospital gown at the time of the X-ray.
Patient Concerns about X - Ray Left Thumb AP LAT View
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the drawbacks of a bone X-ray?
X-ray images give a very clear view of the bones. However, it does not provide a good visual image of the soft tissues like tendons, muscles or fat tissue under the skin. Even the bone microfractures or complicated spine injuries are not clearly visible on the X Ray images. Apart from this, it also exposes the patient to some amount of radiations but the benefit of the information gained from an X-ray image outweighs the risk of radiations.
Q. Who interprets the X-ray results?
The interpretation of an X-Ray image is carried out by a radiologist who analyses or reads the X-ray image and prepares a report of the findings which is shared with the patient.
ScanLAB Diagnostics is committed to providing consistently superior quality diagnostic services to maximize convenience and comfort. We offer a complete range of diagnostic services includingRead More