Overview of X - Ray Coccyx AP View
An X-ray of the coccyx (tailbone) is a safe and painless test to visualise the last bone of the spine, the coccyx (located just above the anus) and the surrounding soft tissues like muscles using small amount of radiation. The image is recorded on a special X-ray film. The X-ray image is black and white. Dense structures such as the bones, appear white and softer body tissues, such as the skin and muscles appear darker. The actual exposure time to radiation is usually less than a second, although the overall test may take 20-30 minutes.
Why Get Tested
- To find the cause of coccydynia (pain in the coccyx) that lasts for a long time
- To look for any injury or fracture of the coccyx (tailbone)
- To diagnose any suspected tumors (abnormal growth), infections or birth defects of the spine
- Pregnant women should inform their doctor (and x-ray technician) as the radiations may affect the fetus. If needed, precautions can be taken to lower the radiation exposure to the fetus.
- You may have to remove your jewelry and any metal objects which might interfere with the image.
- Depending on the area to be imaged, you may be asked to wear a hospital gown at the time of the X-ray.
- You may be asked to empty your bladder and pass stools before the X-ray.
Patient Concerns about X - Ray Coccyx AP View
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the drawbacks of a bone X-ray?
X-ray images give a very clear view of the bones. However, it does not provide a good visual image of the soft tissues like tendons, muscles or fat tissue under the skin. Even the bone microfractures or complicated spine injuries are not clearly visible on the X Ray images. Apart from this, it also exposes the patient to some amount of radiations but the benefit of the information gained from an X-ray image outweighs the risk of radiations.
Q. Who interprets the X-ray results?
The interpretation of an X-Ray image is carried out by a radiologist who analyses or reads the X-ray image and prepares a report of the findings which is shared with the patient.
Sector 46, GURGAON
ScanLAB Diagnostics is committed to providing consistently superior quality diagnostic services to maximize convenience and comfort. We offer a complete range of diagnostic services including Ultrasound, Color Doppler, Digital X-Ray’s, Dental X-Rays, 2D Echocardiography, ECG and Health check ups – all under one-roof.