Overview of Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum
What is Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum?
This test measures the amount of an enzyme called lactate dehydrogenase that is an important marker for tissue injury anywhere in the body. It may be ordered, along with other tests such as a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP), when your doctor suspects that a disease or condition is causing some degree of cellular or tissue damage. LDH levels may also occasionally be ordered when an individual has experienced muscle trauma or injury or when a person has signs and symptoms of hemolytic anemia. LDH testing may be ordered on a regular basis when an individual has been diagnosed with cancer.
The sample type collected for Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum is: Blood
Preparation for Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum?
- As a part of comprehensive metabolic panel
- In many diseases, when your doctor suspects some cellolar or tissue damage
- If you have signs or symptoms of hemolytic anemia
- In certain cases, when some cancers are suspected
- If you have symptoms of meningitis like neck stiffness, severe headache, high fever, vomiting, rashes, then spinal fluid may be checked for LDH
What Results of Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum mean?
- Increased levels of Lactate Dehydrogenase usually indicate some type of tissue damage. Therefore, they may be elevated in a variety of conditions like hemolytic anemia, megaloblastic anemia, infections, acute kidney and liver diseases, testicular cancers and lymphoma. A high LDH level may indicate that the treatment for cancer has not been successful. The LDH level may also remain persistently high in some chronic and progressive conditions.
- Low levels of LDH usually do not indicate a problem. It may be seen when someone ingests large amount of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)
Patient Concerns about Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum
Frequently Asked Questions about Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum
Q. Is LDH used to diagnose heart attack?
Earlier LDH was used to diagnose an acute heart attack, but new, far more sensitive and specific tests have completely replaced it as a test for heart muscle injury.
At Metropolis, the best pathology lab in India what we believe is what we say and what we say is what we do. Being empathetic to our customers and being committed to their needs is in our DNA. Metropolis has grown to harness a culture that is open, synergistic, progressive and scientific in nature. We are the Pathology Specialists delivering over 30 million tests a year, catering to more than 20,000 medical Laboratories, Hospitals, Nursing homes and 2,00,000 Consultants. With 37 years of experience in delivering accurate reports, Metropolis has earned the reputation of being amongst the top pathology labs in India.
Very Good Experience. I got my reports on the same day.. Thank you 1 MG for Superfast Service !! Keep it Up :-)
Good Job............Keep it up