Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Vitamin B 9
When you have an abnormal complete blood count (CBC) with a blood smear showing large red blood cells (macrocytosis) or abnormal (hypersegmented) neutrophils; when you have symptoms of anemia (weakness, tiredness, pale skin) and/or of neuropathy (tingling or itching sensations, eye twitching, memory loss, altered mental status); when you are being treated for vitamin B12 or folate deficiency.
Why Get Tested
- If you have symptoms of anemia like weakness, tiredness, pale skin
- If you have an abnormal complete blood count and your blood smear shows large red blood cells or neutrophils with more than 5 lobes
- If you have symptoms or signs of nerve problems like numbness, burning in hands, feet, arms,tingling sensation
- If you are being treated with vitamin B12 or folate therapy
- Folate levels in blood may vary based on your recent diet. Since your red blood cells store 95% of circolating folate, your doctor may order a test to measure the folate level within RBC’s
- No special preparation required
What Results of Vitamin B 9 mean?
Low levels of folate in the blood may indicate:
- Folic acid deficiency anemia
- Malabsorption syndromes
- Chronic alcoholism
Patient Concerns about Vitamin B 9
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can I take just folic acid if I have combined B12 and folate deficiency?
If you have combined deficiency of B 12 and folic acid and you just take folate, your anemia will improve but the neurological complications will progress. Therefore, it is essential to take both supplementations.
Thyrocare Technologies Limited is India's first and most advanced Totally Automated Laboratory having its strong presence in more than 2000 cities / towns in India and internationally. Thyrocare isRead More
Excellent service and delivery in very short period. Highly impressive
Himadri Shekhar Das
Available at Other Labs