How it works
Tiotropium works by decreasing the activity of acetylcholine on the lung. This relaxes and opens up the air passages to make breathing easier.
Common side effects
Headache, Nausea, Dizziness, Dry mouth, Cough, Throat irritation
- ₹165 to ₹454Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹150 to ₹408Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹170 to ₹273Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹150 to ₹429Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹318Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹273 to ₹365Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹290Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹375Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹123Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- Talk to your doctor if you suffer from increased eyeball pressure (glaucoma), prostate problems, have difficulty passing urine or suffer from kidney diseases.
- Do not use tiotropium to treat a sudden attack of breathlessness in asthma or COPD.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you develop allergic reactions such as rash, swelling and breathlessness after administration of tiotropium.
- Do not allow the inhalation powder from capsule to enter your eye as this may worsen narrow angle glaucoma causing eye pain, blurred vision, seeing halos around lights, reddening of eyes etc.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is tiotropium a steroid, an opiate, anticholinergic or narcotic?
Tiotropium is anticholinergic drug which opens the airways and makes it easier to get air in and out of the lungs, thereby relieving breathlessness. It doesn't contain steroid, opiate or narcotic components
Q. Is tiotropium the same as ipratropium?
Tiotropium is not same as ipratropium
Q. Is tiotropium generic?
However, they belong to the same class, have the same mechanism of action, and act similarly to relieve breathlessness. Tiotropium is available in generic form
Q. Does tiotropium cause weight gain?
Tiotropium is not known to cause weight gain
Q. Is tiotropium LABA/LAMA?
Tiotropium is not a long acting beta agonist (LABA). It is a long acting muscarinic antagonist (LAMA) which acts on muscarinic receptors on the smooth muscles of airways, opens the airways and makes it easier to get air in and out of the lungs, thereby relieving breathlessness.