Information about Theophylline
Theophylline is used in the treatment and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma.
How theophylline works
Theophylline is a bronchodilator. It works by relaxing the muscles of the airways and widens airways. This makes breathing easier.
Common side effects of theophylline
Nausea, Vomiting, Headache, Restlessness, Stomach upset
Available Medicine for Theophylline
- ₹164 to ₹213Modi Mundi Pharma Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹37 to ₹59Algen Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹64Life Medicare & Biotech Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹10 to ₹17Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹11Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹44 to ₹60Life Medicare & Biotech Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹15Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹13Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3 to ₹14Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹45Olcare Laboratories1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Theophylline
- You have been prescribed Theophylline for prevention and treatment of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- It should be taken at the same time each day, preferably in the evening after food.
- It does not work right away and should not be used to relieve sudden breathing problems. Always keep a fast-acting (rescue) inhaler with you.
- Your doctor may take regular blood test to monitor potassium level and the level of this medicine in your body.
- Notify your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney, liver or heart disease, or if you have a smoking history. Your dose may need to be adjusted.
- Do not discontinue use without consulting your doctor, even if you feel better.
Frequently asked questions for Theophylline
Q. How quickly does Theophylline work?
Theophylline starts acting quickly and you may notice improvement in symptoms within about half an hour of taking it. However, the medicine may take a little longer about 4-8 hours to show full effect. Consult your doctor if there is no considerable improvement in your symptoms.
Q. What foods to avoid while taking Theophylline?
While on Theophylline you should avoid foods rich in caffeine like tea, cocoa, coffee, and chocolate. These foods can increase side effects associated with Theophylline. In addition to that, you should avoid alcohol and tobacco while on Theophylline. Discuss with your doctor if you are not sure or have any concerns regarding food restriction.
Q. How should Theophylline be taken?
Take the medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Usually, it is prescribed to be taken twice a day. Take the tablets with a full glass of water at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal. Do not crush or chew the tablets. The capsules can be taken whole or opened and the contents mixed with soft food and swallowed without chewing.
Q. Is Theophylline a steroid?
No, Theophylline is not a steroid. It is a methylxanthine drug which relaxes smooth muscles around the airways of the lungs. It belongs to bronchodilator group of medicines. It relaxes the air passages in the lungs making it easier to breathe.
Q. Does Theophylline cause tachycardia?
Yes, Theophylline may cause increased or rapid heart rate (tachycardia). It may also cause irregular heart beat, palpitations, and low blood pressure. Immediately contact the doctor if you experience any of these symptoms. It is important to inform your doctor if you are a heart patient, as regular check on heart rate and blood pressure may be advised.
Q. Is Theophylline a stimulant?
Yes, Theophylline is a central nervous system stimulant. During treatment with Theophylline, the patient may experience headache, irritability, and sleeplessness, or inability to fall asleep (insomnia), lightheadedness, and dizziness. Discuss with your doctor if you notice any of these symptoms.