Stannous fluoride is used for preventing dental cavities and gingival (gum) inflammation.
How it works
Stannous fluoride belongs to the class of medications called as cariostatic and antibacterial agents. It works by strengthening the teeth and reducing the effects of acid and bacteria on the teeth. It also promotes remineralization and arrests dental carries formation.
Common side effects
Allergy, Teeth discolouration
AVAILABLE MEDICINENo medicine available
- Take precaution when stannous fluoride is used in children, so that they may not swallow the preparation.
- Consult your doctor before using stannous fluoride in children below 6 years of age.
- Exercise caution as stannous fluoride preparations may cause reversible staining of teeth which can be reduced by proper brushing.
- Inform your doctor before taking the stannous fluoride if you have any ulcers or joint pain.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breast feeding.
- Do not take if patient is allergic to stannous fluoride or any of its ingredients.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is stannous fluoride toothpaste safe?
Yes, stannous fluoride toothpaste is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Does stannous fluoride stain teeth?
Yes, stannous fluoride stains the teeth but this can be reduced by proper brushing.
Q. How does stannous fluoride kill bacteria?
Stannous fluoride exerts a killing effect on bacteria due to non-specific interaction with the bacterial membrane that causes membrane disruption leading to cell lysis and death.