Inflammation of gums
Description of Inflammation of gums
Gum disease ranges from simple gum inflammation, called gingivitis, to serious damage to the tissue and bone supporting the teeth. In the worst cases, one can lose teeth.
Signs and Symptoms
1. The gums become red and swollen
2. Gums can bleed
1. It can be reversed with daily brushing and flossing
2. Regular cleanings by a dentist or dental hygienist
Complications and When Should You See a Doctor
1. Periodontitis where the gums pull away from the teeth and form pockets that become infected.
2. If not treated, the bones, gums, and connective tissue that support the teeth are destroyed.
NIH: National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research
Frequently Asked Questions about Inflammation of gums
Not Available. Will update soon.