Information about Sevelamer
Sevelamer is used in the treatment of increased phosphate levels in blood. It is used in patients with kidney problems and on dialysis.
How sevelamer works
Sevelamer inhibits the absorption of phosphate from the intestine and lower the phosphate levels in the blood.
Common side effects of sevelamer
Nausea, Vomiting, Abdominal pain upper, Flatulence, Constipation, Diarrhoea, Dyspepsia
Available Medicine for Sevelamer
- ₹33 to ₹401Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹74 to ₹139Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹1260Sanofi India Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹162 to ₹199Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹214 to ₹412La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹211 to ₹385Panacea Biotec Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹133 to ₹267Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹125 to ₹257Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹257 to ₹337Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹246 to ₹440Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Sevelamer
Take sevelamer tablets with meals.
Avoid taking any other medicines within 1 hour before or 3 hours after you take sevelamer.
Do not start or continue sevelamer and consult your doctor:
- if you have allergy to sevelamer.
- if you have problems with bowel motility such as feeling of fullness, urge to vomit (nausea), vomiting, constipation, prolonged loose motions (diarrhea) or pain in the abdomen (symptoms of active inflammatory bowel disease).
- if you have undergone major surgery on your stomach or bowel.
Do not take calcium or other mineral supplements without your doctor's advice.
Frequently asked questions for Sevelamer
Q. What is sevelamer carbonate/sevelamer hydrochloride?
Sevelamer is available in 2 forms - Sevelamer carbonate and sevelamer hydrochloride. Both are same in function and used to treat hyperphosphatemia (increased blood phosphate level)
Q. What is role of Sevelamer in dialysis?
Sevelamer is used in patient who requires dialysis to remove extra phosphate from the blood. However, it should not be given to patients who are about to undergo dialysis soon.