Information about Salmeterol
How Salmeterol works
Salmeterol is a bronchodilator. It works by relaxing the muscles in the airways and widens airways. This makes breathing easier.
Common side effects of Salmeterol
Tremor, Headache, Restlessness, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Palpitations, Muscle cramp
Expert advice for Salmeterol
- This medicine is for inhalation only. The tablet should not be swallowed.
- Salmeterol should be taken at the same time each day.
- Take the first dose of this medicine under medical supervision as it may cause wheezing or tightening of the airways (bronchospasm) immediately after using.
- It does not work right away and should not be used to relieve sudden breathing problems. Use your rescue inhaler to control sudden difficulty in breathing.
- Gargle with warm water after each inhalation to avoid any fungal infections in your mouth and throat.
- Dry mouth may occur as a side effect. Frequent mouth rinses, good oral hygiene, increased water intake and sugarless candy may help.