Information about Promethazine
Promethazine is used in the treatment of nausea and vomiting. It is also used for short-term treatment of insomnia (difficulty sleeping) in adults and as a sedative in children aged 5 years and above.
How promethazine works
Promethazine is an antiallergic medication. When your body is exposed to an allergen (pollen, animal dander, house dust etc.), it produces a chemical called histamine. This causes watery eyes, runny or blocked nose, sneezing, skin rashes, itching etc. Promethazine works by blocking the action of histamine, thereby relieving these symptoms. It also works directly on several areas of the brain to prevent nausea/vomiting and help you feel more relaxed.
Common side effects of promethazine
Available Medicine for Promethazine
- ₹24 to ₹43Abbott3 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹35Abbott4 variant(s)
- ₹12Menarini India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹29Ind Swift Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹6 to ₹29Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹67Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹24Southshourne Corporation India1 variant(s)
- ₹30Southshourne Corporation India1 variant(s)
- ₹11Leeford Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹22Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Promethazine
- Promethazine helps treat nausea and vomiting.
- It may also be used for the short-term treatment of sleeping difficulties (insomnia) in adults and as a sedative in children.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Promethazine can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking this medication as it may cause increased sleepiness.
- It may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Avoid exposing your skin to strong sunlight, use a sunscreen lotion or make sure your skin is protected with clothing.
- Do not take it for longer than 7 days. If your symptoms worsen or do not improve after 7 days, talk to your doctor.
- Stop taking it at least three days before taking an allergy test as it can affect the test results.
Frequently asked questions for Promethazine
Q. Is Promethazine or Promethazine DM syrup a narcotic/opiate/pain killer?
Promethazine is antihistaminic drug and not a narcotic/opiate/pain killer. Patient should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use
Q. Is Promethazine over the counter?
No, it is available with doctor's prescription only
Q. Can I take Promethazine for a hangover/sore throat/ nausea/stomach flu/cramps/toothache/ headache/ cough/pain?
Promethazine is used for treatment of symptoms of allergies, but not used for hangover, sore throat, stomach flu, cramps, toothache, headache and cough. Patient should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use
Q. Can I take promethazine with Nyquil/ codeine and ibuprofen/ Tylenol/ oxycodone/ Benadryl/ Dayquil/ Zofran/codeine and Nyquil/Xanax?
Yes, but taking other medicines may alter the effects of promethazine. Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does promethazine/Promethazine VC have codeine in it?
No, it does not contain codeine in it
Q. Does Promethazine or Promethazine DM make you sleepy/ get you high/make you tired?
Promethazine may cause these side effects which are not serious. However, always consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects.