Information about Promethazine
Promethazine is used in the treatment of nausea, vomiting and allergy symptoms. It is also used for short-term treatment of insomnia (difficulty sleeping) in adults and as a sedative in children aged 5 years and above.
How promethazine works
Promethazine is an antihistaminic medication. It blocks the action of certain chemical messengers that are responsible for inflammation, congestion, itching, and other allergic reactions. It also works directly on the brain to help you feel more relaxed.
Common side effects of promethazine
Available Medicine for Promethazine
- ₹8 to ₹32Abbott4 variant(s)
- ₹12Menarini India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹67Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹6 to ₹29Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹24Southshourne Corporation India1 variant(s)
- ₹30Southshourne Corporation India1 variant(s)
- ₹14Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹11Leeford Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹9Prayas Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
- ₹63Apex Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Promethazine
- Avoid driving or operating dangerous machinery as it may decrease alertness.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Promethazine, as it may cause excessive sleepiness or drowsiness.
Frequently asked questions for Promethazine
Q. Is Promethazine or Promethazine DM syrup a narcotic/opiate/pain killer?
Promethazine is antihistaminic drug and not a narcotic/opiate/pain killer. Patient should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use
Q. Is Promethazine over the counter?
No, it is available with doctor's prescription only
Q. Can I take Promethazine for a hangover/sore throat/ nausea/stomach flu/cramps/toothache/ headache/ cough/pain?
Promethazine is used for treatment of symptoms of allergies, but not used for hangover, sore throat, stomach flu, cramps, toothache, headache and cough. Patient should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use
Q. Can I take promethazine with Nyquil/ codeine and ibuprofen/ Tylenol/ oxycodone/ Benadryl/ Dayquil/ Zofran/codeine and Nyquil/Xanax?
Yes, but taking other medicines may alter the effects of promethazine. Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does promethazine/Promethazine VC have codeine in it?
No, it does not contain codeine in it
Q. Does Promethazine or Promethazine DM make you sleepy/ get you high/make you tired?
Promethazine may cause these side effects which are not serious. However, always consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects.