Promethazine is used in the treatment of allergic disorders
How it works
Promethazine blocks the action of certain chemical messengers that are responsible for inflammation, congestion, itching, and other allergic reactions.
Common side effects
Nightmare, Pale red skin, Itchy rash, Rash, Abdominal cramp, Abnormal liver function tests, Altered heart rate, Blurred vision, Confusion, Decreased blood pressure, Diarrhoea, Disorientation (alteration of mental status), Dizziness, Drowsiness, Dry mouth, Gastric irritation, Headache, Hypersensitivity reaction, Inability to empty the urinary bladder, Itching, Loss of appetite, Muscle cramp, Nausea, Restlessness, Vomiting, Fatigue
- ₹24 to ₹32Abbott India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹92Abbott India Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹12Menarini India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹56Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹5 to ₹21Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹266British Biologicals1 variant(s)
- ₹24Southshourne Corporation India1 variant(s)
- ₹14Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹57Neuro Pharma GmbH2 variant(s)
- ₹5Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries1 variant(s)
- Do not start or continue the promethazine tablets if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to promethazine or any of the other ingredients of promethazine tablet.
- Do not drive or operate machinery after taking promethazine if you feel drowsy.
- Do not use promethazine for more than 7 days without doctor’s advice.
- Do not use in patients in coma or suffering from depression.
- Doctor’s advice should be considered in case of following disease conditions: severe coronary artery disease, narrow angle glaucoma, epilepsy (fits) or liver or kidney problem, block in the junction of stomach and intestine (pyloro-duodenal obstruction) or in the bladder neck.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is promethazine or Promethazine DM syrup a narcotic/opiate/pain killer?
Promethazine is antihistaminic drug and not a narcotic/opiate/pain killer. Patient should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use
Q. Is promethazine over the counter?
No, it is available with doctor's prescription only
Q. Can I take promethazine for a hangover/sore throat/ nausea/stomach flu/cramps/toothache/ headache/ cough/pain?
Promethazine is used for treatment of symptoms of allergies, but not used for hangover, sore throat, stomach flu, cramps, toothache, headache and cough. Patient should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use
Q. Can I take promethazine with Nyquil/ codeine and ibuprofen/ Tylenol/ oxycodone/ Benadryl/ Dayquil/ Zofran/codeine and Nyquil/Xanax?
Yes, but taking other medicines may alter the effects of promethazine. Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does promethazine/Promethazine VC have codeine in it?
No, it does not contain codeine in it
Q. Does promethazine or Promethazine DM make you sleepy/ get you high/make you tired?
Promethazine may cause these side effects which are not serious. However, always consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects.