Information about Permethrin
How permethrin works
Permethrin is an antiparasitic medication. It works by killing the tiny insects (mites) and their eggs, which cause scabies. It also kills head lice which attach to your scalp and irritate it.
Common side effects of permethrin
Skin burn, Stinging sensation
Available Medicine for Permethrin
- ₹57 to ₹145Hegde and Hegde Pharmaceutical LLP3 variant(s)
- ₹61 to ₹211Curatio Healthcare India Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹121 to ₹128Palsons Derma4 variant(s)
- ₹114 to ₹161Curatio Healthcare India Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹68Menarini India Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹51Leeford Healthcare Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹92Med Manor Organics Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹70 to ₹110Psychotropics India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹105Talent India3 variant(s)
- ₹47 to ₹70Mark India4 variant(s)
Expert advice for Permethrin
- Permethrin is prescribed for the treatment of scabies( a condition where tiny insects infest and irritate your skin).
- It also comes as a lotion, which can be used for the treatment of head lice.
- It should be used as per dose and duration suggested by your doctor.
- If the condition persists after 14 days of treatment then the doctor may suggest another treatment.
- Apply a thin layer of this medicine all over the body and leave it for 8-14 hours before taking a bath or shower.
- Avoid getting it in your eyes, nose or mouth. If this happens, rinse with water immediately.
Frequently asked questions for Permethrin
Q. Is Permethrin effective?
Permethrin is effective if used in the dose and duration advised by your doctor. Do not stop taking it even if you see improvement in your condition. If you stop using Permethrin too early, the symptoms may return or worsen.
Q. How long does Permethrin take to show its effects?
You may see an improvement after 4-6 weeks of treatment. However, you may need to use this treatment for a longer duration to gain maximum benefit. Do not worry, this is normal for acne treatments. If your acne does not get better after 1 month or if it gets worse, inform your doctor.
Q. Is Permethrin available over the counter?
No, Permethrin is not available over the counter, rather, it can be taken only if prescribed by a doctor. Do not self-medicate and take it only under the supervision of a healthcare professional to get maximum benefit of Permethrin.
Q. What if I forget to take a dose of Permethrin?
If you have missed a dose of Permethrin, take it as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, take it in the regular schedule instead of taking the missed dose. Do not double the dose to make up for the missed one as this may increase the chances of developing side effects.
Q. Is Permethrin safe?
Permethrin is safe if used in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Take it exactly as directed and do not skip any dose. Follow your doctor's instructions carefully and let your doctor know if any of the side effects bother you.