Description of Scabies
Scabies is an itchy skin condition caused by the microscopic mite Sarcoptes scabiei. It is common all over the world and can affect anyone. Scabies spreads faster in crowded conditions where there is frequent skin-to-skin contact between people.
Causes and Risk Factors
Scabies can easily infect sex partners and other household members. Sharing clothes, towels, and bedding can sometimes spread scabies. This can happen much more easily when the infested person has crusted scabies.
Signs and Symptoms
Common symptoms are:
1. Pimple-like irritations or a rash
2. Intense itching, especially at night
3. Sores caused by scratching
Your doctor may examine you physically. He may observe your skin rashes.
Treatment and Prevention
1. Several lotions are available to treat scabies.
2. The infected person's clothes, bedding, and towels should be washed in hot water and dried in a hot dryer
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Frequently Asked Questions about Scabies
Not Available. Will update soon.