Information about Oxaliplatin
Oxaliplatin is used in the treatment of cancer of colon and rectum.
How oxaliplatin works
Oxaliplatin is an anti-cancer medication. It works by damaging the genetic material (DNA) of the cancer cells and stops their growth and multiplication.
Common side effects of oxaliplatin
Nausea, Fatigue, Anemia, Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Decreased white blood cell count (neutrophils), Reduced blood platelets, Increased liver enzymes, Peripheral sensory neuropathy, Stomatitis (Inflammation of the mouth)
Available Medicine for Oxaliplatin
- ₹3375 to ₹6940Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹2536 to ₹5073Fresenius Kabi India Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹2579 to ₹4808Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹3215 to ₹6322Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹2653 to ₹4293Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1850 to ₹3490Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹1740 to ₹3420Celon Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹2352 to ₹4450Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹2800 to ₹5000RPG Life Sciences Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1577 to ₹3307Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Oxaliplatin
- Do not start oxaliplatin if your blood counts are too low or have weakness, numbness, disturbances of feeling or taste after taking oxaliplatin treatment, if you are taking 5-fluorouracil.
- Take precautions as oxaliplatin may reduce the ability of your body fight infections.
- Avoid situations that may put you at risk of bleeding as oxaliplatin can reduce clot forming cells in your body.
- Take necessary precaution as oxaliplatin can make you more sensitive to cold, which can cause numbness, tingling, and muscle spasms.
- Do not drive or operate machinery as oxaliplatin can cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and other neurologic symptoms.
Frequently asked questions for Oxaliplatin
Q. Is Oxaliplatin highly emetogenic, ototoxic (hearing loss), cause hair loss, infertility, diarrhea, neuropathy, cold sensitivity?
Oxaliplatin is highly emetogenic, can cause hair loss, temporary infertility, diarrhea, neuropathy, cold sensitivity. Oxaliplatin is not ototoxic
Q. Is Oxaliplatin a vesicant, chemo drug, alkylating agent?
Oxaliplatin is a vesicant, chemotherapeutic drug. Oxaliplatin is not an alkylating agent it is a platinum containing antineoplastic agent
Q. How is Oxaliplatin administered?
Oxaliplatin is administered as intravenous infusion or bolus injection.