Information about Nitroprusside
Nitroprusside is used in the treatment of heart failure and hypertensive emergency.
How nitroprusside works
Nitroprusside is a nitrate.It reduces the workload of the heart. As a result, the heart muscle does not need as much blood and oxygen supply.
Common side effects of nitroprusside
Decreased blood pressure
Available Medicine for Nitroprusside
- ₹131Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹130Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹141Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Nitroprusside
- Headache (‘nitrate headache’) may occur but should go away after a few days of continued treatment.
- You may develop tolerance to Nitroprusside with time, meaning that the same dose may be less effective next time. Follow the prescribed dosing schedule to avoid this.
- Eat healthy (low-fat, high-fibre, low-sodium diet), quit smoking, limit alcohol intake, increase your physical activity, watch your weight, and reduce stress.
- Notify your doctor about other medicines (eg. sildenafil, tadalafil or vardenafil) that you are taking as Nitroprusside may interact with them and cause a serious fall in blood pressure. This may lead to collapse, unconsciousness and could be fatal.
Frequently asked questions for Nitroprusside
Q. Is Nitroprusside a nitrate?
Yes, Nitroprusside is a nitrate
Q. Is Nitroprusside an inotrope/ vasodilator?
Nitroprusside is a vasodilator
Q. Is nitroprusside the same as nitroglycerin?
Nitroprusside and nitroglycerine are two different drugs with the same mechanism of action
Q. Why Nitroprusside is protected from light?
Nitroprusside is photosensitive and therefore it must be protected from light
Q. Does Nitroprusside increased SVR (systemic vascular resistance)?
Nitroprusside is known to relax the peripheral smooth muscles and therefore reduce SVR
Q. Does Nitroprusside reduce afterload?
Yes, Nitroprusside reduces afterload.