Mephentermine is used in the treatment of decreased blood pressure
How it works
Mephentermine belongs to a group of drugs called sympathomimetic agents. It stimulates certain chemicals to balance the blood pressure. Mephentermine appears to act by indirect stimulation of beta-adrenergic receptors causing the release of norepinephrine from its storage sites. It has a positive inotropic effect on the myocardium. AV conduction and refractory period of AV node is shortened with an increase in ventricular conduction velocity. It dilates arteries and arterioles in the skeletal muscle and mesenteric vascular beds, leading to an increase in venous return.
Common side effects
Systemic hypertension (high blood pressure), Anxiety, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Cns stimulation
- ₹22 to ₹216Neon Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹168 to ₹196Pfizer Ltd3 variant(s)
• Do not take mephentermine if you have low blood pressure due to phenothiazine drugs.
• Take special precaution if you are on antipsychotic medications, drugs for hypertension, hyperthyroidism and any other chronic illness.
• Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
• Patients who are allergic to mephentermine or any of its ingredients should not take it.
• Patients suffering from hypertension should avoid the intake of mephentermine.
• Patients with phaeochromocytoma (high blood pressure due to tumour near kidney) should not take mephentermine.