Information about Melphalan
Melphalan is used in the treatment of multiple myeloma.
How melphalan works
Melphalan is an anti-cancer medication. It works by damaging the genetic material (DNA) of the cancer cells and stops their growth and multiplication.
Common side effects of melphalan
Nausea, Vomiting, Stomatitis (Inflammation of the mouth), Anemia, Hair loss, Reduced blood platelets, Diarrhoea, Decreased white blood cell count
Available Medicine for Melphalan
- ₹2967 to ₹5358Natco Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1636Celon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1785Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹362Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Melphalan
- Melphalan to be taken on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. Drink at least two to three quarts of fluid every 24 hours, unless you are instructed otherwise.
- You may be at risk of infection so try to avoid contact with people with cold, fever or any other signs of infection.
- Avoid exposure to sunlight. Use sunscreen lotion and protective clothing.
- You may be monitored periodically for complete blood counts (at least one determination prior to each treatment course) during the course of treatment.
- Melphalan may increase the risk that you will develop other cancers. Talk with your doctor about the risks of taking melphalan.
- Do not take live vaccines if you are an immunocompromised patient.
- Use of melphalan is not recommended in children.
- Use with melphalan extreme caution if your bone marrow reserve have been compromised by prior irradiation or chemotherapy, or if your marrow function is recovering from previous cytotoxic therapy.
- Use appropriate contraceptive methods to avoid pregnancy during melphalan treatment.
Frequently asked questions for Melphalan
Q. Is Melphalan a vesicant (irritant)?
Melphalan is not a vesicant but an anti-cancer drug
Q. How is Melphalan given?
Melphalan is given by oral or intravenous route; dosing varies by purpose and route of administration as well as patient weight
Q. Does Melphalan cause hair loss/ neuropathy/ liver damage?
Melphalan causes hair loss as one of the side effects. but cause for liver damage and neuropathy is not known
Q. How does Melphalan work/ how does Melphalan kill cancer cells?
Melphalan belongs to class of drugs called alkylating agents. It works by stopping or slowing the growth of cancer cells in your body.