Information about Medroxyprogesterone
How medroxyprogesterone works
Medroxyprogesterone is a progestin (female hormones). It works as part of hormone replacement therapy by replacing the amount of oestrogen in the uterus. It works to bring on menstruation by replacing the natural progesterone that some women are missing.
Common side effects of medroxyprogesterone
Available Medicine for Medroxyprogesterone
- ₹20 to ₹54Serum Institute Of India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹61Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹305Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹54Corona Remedies Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹48Obsurge Biotech Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹59Sanzyme Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹48Vhb Life Sciences Inc1 variant(s)
- ₹49Unicure India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹125DKT India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹40West-Coast Pharmaceutical Works Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Medroxyprogesterone
- Swallow each tablet whole. Take your tablets at the same time each day. Treatment may be required for 8 to 10 weeks before any effect can be found.
- Do not take medroxyprogesterone If you are hypersensitive (allergic) to medroxyprogesterone or other similar hormone medicines or any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
- Avoid smoking while you are taking this medicine. Smoking greatly increases your risk of blood clots.
- This medicine can pass into body fluids (including urine, feces, vomit, semen, vaginal fluid). Patients and caregivers should wear rubber gloves while cleaning up body fluids, handling contaminated trash or laundry or changing diapers. Wash hands before and after removing gloves. Wash soiled clothing and linens separately from other laundry.
- Body fluids should not be handled by a woman who is pregnant or who may become pregnant. Use condoms during sexual activity to avoid exposure to body fluids.
- Avoid becoming pregnant while being treated with medroxyprogesterone.
Frequently asked questions for Medroxyprogesterone
Q. Is Medroxyprogesterone a hormone or a bioidentical hormone or a steroid?
Medroxyprogesterone contains medroxyprogesterone which is a synthetic, steroid hormone, similar to but not same as progesterone, so, it is a non-bio-identical hormone.
Q. Can I take Medroxyprogesterone with paracetamol (acetaminophen)?
Medroxyprogesterone can be taken with paracetamol (acetaminophen). No drug-drug interactions have been reported between the two. However, interactions can occur. Please consult your doctor before taking the two medicines together.
Q. Does Medroxyprogesterone cause ovulation or stops ovulation?
Medroxyprogesterone prevents follicular maturation and stops ovulation.
Q. Does Medroxyprogesterone expire?
Yes, like any other medicine, Medroxyprogesterone has an expiry date and should not be used beyond the date mentioned on the package.
Q. Is Medroxyprogesterone a birth control pill?
Yes, Medroxyprogesterone can be used as a contraceptive, a birth control pill. However, it should be used only when advised by your doctor.
Q. Is Medroxyprogesterone safe?
Medroxyprogesterone is safe if used in doses as prescribed by your gynecologist or physician for a prescribed duration.
Q. Does Medroxyprogesterone make you bleed?
Medroxyprogesterone can cause prolonged bleeding when used immediately after delivery or termination of pregnancy. Please consult your physician if you are experiencing prolonged bleeding while taking Medroxyprogesterone.
Q. Does Medroxyprogesterone make you sleepy?
Medroxyprogesterone does not make you sleepy, rather it causes insomnia (inability to sleep), which is an uncommon side effect with its use. In case you feel sleepy while taking this medicine, please consult your doctor.
Q. Can the use of Medroxyprogesterone cause weight gain?
Yes, weight gain is a very common side effect of Medroxyprogesterone. Please consult your physician if you are experiencing weight gain while taking Medroxyprogesterone.
Q. Can the use of Medroxyprogesterone cause acne?
Yes, acne is a common side effect seen with the use of Medroxyprogesterone. Please consult your gynecologist or physician if you have acne while taking Medroxyprogesterone.
Q. Does the use of Medroxyprogesterone cause constipation?
No, constipation has not been reported as a side effect with Medroxyprogesterone. Please discuss with your physician if you experience constipation while taking Medroxyprogesterone.
Q. Can the use of Medroxyprogesterone affect pregnancy?
Yes, Medroxyprogesterone is used as a contraceptive (birth control pill) to avoid pregnancy. It should not be used during pregnancy, either for diagnosis or therapy.
Q. Can I take Medroxyprogesterone with birth control pills?
Medroxyprogesterone itself is a birth control pill. Please consult your gynecologist or physician before taking it with other birth control pills.
Q. Can I take Medroxyprogesterone with ibuprofen?
Medroxyprogesterone can be taken with ibuprofen. No drug-drug interactions have been reported between the two. However, interactions can occur. Please consult your doctor before taking the two medicines together.