Information about Leflunomide
Leflunomide is used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and Psoriatic arthritis.
How leflunomide works
Leflunomide blocks the action of certain chemical messengers that are responsible for inflammation, swelling and redness associated with certain autoimmune diseases. It suppresses the underlying disease process, rather than simply treating the disease.
Common side effects of leflunomide
Nausea, Headache, Dyspepsia, Rash, Diarrhoea, Increased liver enzymes, Respiratory tract infection
Available Medicine for Leflunomide
- ₹120 to ₹195Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹98 to ₹196Ipca Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹177 to ₹434Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹292 to ₹572Sanofi India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹108 to ₹191Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹97 to ₹191Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹96Wallace Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹98 to ₹182Overseas Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹89 to ₹170Ronyd Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹240Rhumasafe Pharmaceutical1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Leflunomide
- Do not drive or operate machinery because you may feel sleepy or dizzy while being treated with leflunomide.
- Do not start leflunomide, if you have a kidney, liver, blood or lung problem; have low level of proteins in blood (hypoproteinemia), low level of any blood cells, or suffering from any disease with lowered immunity like tuberculosis or AIDS.
- Do not start leflunomide, if you have intolerance to some sugars because this medicine contains lactose (a type of sugar).
- Do not take leflunomide, if you are going to receive any live vaccine; or if you experience a widespread rash with blisters and peeling skin (Stevens-Johnson syndrome), widespread peeling of the superficial layers of the skin (toxic epidermal necrolysis),or drug reaction with eosinophilia and systematic symptoms (DRESS).
- Avoid using leflunomide, if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Leflunomide
Q. Is Leflunomide an NSAID, immunosuppressant, blood thinner, chemotherapeutic agent?
No, Leflunomide is not an NSAID, blood thinner or chemotherapeutic agent. It is an immunosuppressant anti-rheumatic drug
Q. Can I take Tylenol (acetaminophen), or ibuprofen with leflunomide, or Arava?
You can take Tylenol or ibuprofen with leflunomide or Arava which is brand name of leflunomide
Q. Does Leflunomide cause weight or hair loss, bruising, high blood pressure, nausea, cancer, fatigue, or weight gain?
Leflunomide may cause weight or hair loss, bruising, high blood pressure, and nausea (urge to vomit), but it is not known to cause weight gain, fatigue or cancer
Q. Does Leflunomide help psoriasis?
Yes, Leflunomide is used in the treatment of psoriasis.