Information about Isosorbide Mononitrate
Isosorbide mononitrate uses
Isosorbide Mononitrate is used in the treatment of Angina (heart-related chest pain).
How isosorbide mononitrate works
Isosorbide Mononitrate is a nitrate. It reduces the workload of the heart. As a result, the heart muscle does not need as much blood and oxygen supply.
Common side effects of isosorbide mononitrate
Headache, Dizziness, Increased heart rate, Flushing of face, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
Available Medicine for Isosorbide Mononitrate
- ₹156 to ₹204AstraZeneca2 variant(s)
- ₹64 to ₹108Abbott3 variant(s)
- ₹21 to ₹105Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹32 to ₹78Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹21 to ₹70Micro Labs Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹44Lupin Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹60Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹82Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹57Stadmed Pvt Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹39Ipca Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Isosorbide Mononitrate
- You have been prescribed Isosorbide Mononitrate for the prevention and treatment of heart-related chest pain (angina).
- Eat healthy (low-fat, high-fiber, low-sodium diet), quit smoking, increase your physical activity, watch your weight and reduce stress.
- Isosorbide Mononitrate may cause dizziness or sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything that requires concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Do not consume alcohol while taking Isosorbide Mononitrate as it may cause increased dizziness.
- It may cause headaches which usually go away after a few days of continued treatment. Inform your doctor if it persists.
- You may develop tolerance to Isosorbide Mononitrate with time, meaning that the same dose may be less effective next time. Follow the prescribed dosing schedule to avoid this.
- Stop taking medications (prescribed for erectile dysfunction) like sildenafil or tadalafil while on treatment with Isosorbide Mononitrate as it may cause low blood pressure.
Frequently asked questions for Isosorbide Mononitrate
Q. Does Isosorbide Mononitrate lower BP?
Yes, Isosorbide Mononitrate can cause a fall in blood pressure. This medicine widens the blood vessels and decreases the resistance in them, causing a fall in blood pressure. This fall in blood pressure may in turn decrease the heartbeat which can lead to angina. This medicine should be avoided in people who already have low blood pressure. Discuss with your doctor if you have any concerns.
Q. Does Isosorbide Mononitrate affect heart rate?
Yes, Isosorbide Mononitrate may affect the heart rate. Isosorbide Mononitrate causes a decrease in the blood pressure. This decrease in blood pressure further causes a decrease in the heart rate (bradycardia). In some cases, it may also cause an increase in the heart rate (tachycardia). Consult your doctor in case you do not feel well after taking this medicine or if you notice a change in your heart rate.
Q. Can Isosorbide Mononitrate be taken at night?
Depending upon the dose, your doctor may recommend you to take this medicine once or twice daily. When a single dose is recommended, then it is preferred to be taken in the morning. If taking it twice a day, maintain a gap of 7 hours between the two doses. This helps decrease the chances of Isosorbide Mononitrate becoming ineffective (tolerance) after sometime.
Q. Can I take sildenafil while taking Isosorbide Mononitrate?
No, you should not take sildenafil along with Isosorbide Mononitrate. Both these medicines lower blood pressure and belong to the same class. Taking these two medicines together may cause severe decrease in blood pressure, fainting and even a heart attack. Along with this, also avoid taking other medicines belonging to similar class such as vardenafil and tadalafil.
Q. What are the symptoms of an overdose of Isosorbide Mononitrate?
Taking more than the recommended dose of Isosorbide Mononitrate may cause throbbing headache, reddening of the skin, chills along with sweating, nausea, vomiting and a fast heartbeat. Seek emergency help and consult your doctor immediately if you take more than the recommended dose of this medicine.
Q. Can I stop taking Isosorbide Mononitrate after sometime?
No, do not stop taking this medicine without talking to your doctor. Stopping it suddenly may increase your chances of having anginal attack. If you have any concerns regarding Isosorbide Mononitrate consult your doctor.
Q. What if I forget to take a dose of Isosorbide Mononitrate?
You can take the forgotten dose of Isosorbide Mononitrate if you remember it within 12 hours. However, if you remember it after 12 hours of the scheduled time, then skip the missed dose and continue with the next dose.