Information about Isosorbide Dinitrate
Isosorbide dinitrate uses
Isosorbide Dinitrate is used in the treatment of Angina (heart-related chest pain) and Heart failure.
How isosorbide dinitrate works
Isosorbide Dinitrate is a nitrate. It works by relaxing the blood vessels which decreases the oxygen demand of the heart and reduces its workload, thereby preventing/treating attacks of angina (chest pain).
Common side effects of isosorbide dinitrate
Headache, Lightheadedness, Dizziness, Nausea
Available Medicine for Isosorbide Dinitrate
- ₹40 to ₹106Abbott3 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹9Ipca Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹163Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹10Aarux Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹5 to ₹7Stadmed Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹99Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Isosorbide Dinitrate
- Eat healthy (low-fat, high-fiber, low-sodium diet), quit smoking, increase your physical activity, watch your weight and reduce stress.
- Isosorbide Dinitrate may cause dizziness or sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything that requires concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Do not consume alcohol while taking Isosorbide Dinitrate as it may cause increased dizziness.
- It may cause headaches which usually go away after a few days of continued treatment. Inform your doctor if it persists.
- You may develop tolerance to Isosorbide Dinitrate with time, meaning that the same dose may be less effective next time. Follow the prescribed dosing schedule to avoid this.
- Stop taking medications (prescribed for erectile dysfunction) like sildenafil or tadalafil while on treatment with Isosorbide Dinitrate as it may cause low blood pressure.
Frequently asked questions for Isosorbide Dinitrate
Q. What is Isosorbide Dinitrate and what is it used for?
Isosorbide Dinitrate is used to prevent and treat angina pectoris and as an adjunctive treatment in severe acute or chronic congestive cardiac failure.
Q. How does Isosorbide Dinitrate work?
Isosorbide Dinitrate belongs to a group of medicines called organic nitrates and it works by widening the blood vessels in your heart to allow an increased amount of blood flow to areas which need it.
Q. Does Isosorbide Dinitrate lower heart rate?
No, Isosorbide Dinitrate is not known to lower heart rate.