Information about Isosorbide Dinitrate
Isosorbide dinitrate uses
How isosorbide dinitrate works
Isosorbide dinitrate reduces the workload of the heart. As a result, the heart muscle does not need as much blood and oxygen supply.
Common side effects of isosorbide dinitrate
Headache, Flushing of face, Dizziness, Increased heart rate, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
Available Medicine for Isosorbide Dinitrate
- ₹36 to ₹38Abbott India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹44Ipca Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹99Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹5 to ₹7Stadmed Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹105Prevento Pharma1 variant(s)
- ₹165Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹160Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Isosorbide Dinitrate
Take isosorbide dinitrate on an empty stomach with a full glass of water. Do not take isosorbide dinitrate if:
- You are allergic to isosorbide dinitrate, other nitrates or any of the other ingredients.
- You suffer from anemia (reduction in red blood cells).
- You have had a heart attack (myocardial infarction).
- You have had a brain hemorrhage (bleeding) or a head injury (trauma).
- You have a low blood volume (hypovolemia) or very low blood pressure.
- You take sildenafil (“Viagra”) avanafil, riociguat, tadalafil, or vardenafil or any other phosphodiesterase inhibitor.
Check with your doctor before taking isosorbide dinitrate if:
- You have hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid gland which can cause tiredness or weight gain).
- You are malnourished (severely underfed).
- You have liver or kidney disease.
- You have been diagnosed with any of the severe heart disease.
- You are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
You must not stop taking isosorbide dinitrate to take sildenafil as this will increase your chances of having an angina attack.
Do not drink alcohol.
Do not drive or operate machinery.
Isosorbide dinitrate should not be used to stop an attack of angina; it is intended only for prevention of an attack.
Frequently asked questions for Isosorbide Dinitrate
Q. What is Isosorbide Dinitrate and what is it used for?
Isosorbide Dinitrate is used to prevent and treat angina pectoris and as an adjunctive treatment in severe acute or chronic congestive cardiac failure.
Q. How does Isosorbide Dinitrate work?
Isosorbide Dinitrate belongs to a group of medicines called organic nitrates and it works by widening the blood vessels in your heart to allow an increased amount of blood flow to areas which need it.
Q. Does Isosorbide Dinitrate lower heart rate?
No, Isosorbide Dinitrate is not known to lower heart rate.