Imatinib Mesylate is used in the treatment of chronic myeloid leukaemia and gastrointestinal stromal tumour.
How it works
In patients with cancer, a change in DNA (genetic material) triggers a signal which produces abnormal cancer cells. Imatinib mesylate blocks this signal, and thus stops the production of these cancer cells.
Common side effects
Nausea, Rash, Vomiting, Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain, Edema, Abdominal pain, Fatigue, Diarrhoea, Muscle cramp
- ₹855 to ₹2655Natco Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹455 to ₹1571Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries2 variant(s)
- ₹937 to ₹2240Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹670 to ₹6250Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹904 to ₹3262Zuventus Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹915 to ₹1759Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹470 to ₹2004Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹875 to ₹1344Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹900 to ₹1797Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹3110Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
Imatinib should always be taken at the advice of a doctor who is experienced in treating cancers.
Do not start or continue imatinib and consult your doctor;
- If you are allergic to imatinib or any other ingredients in the medicine
- if you have or had a liver, kidney or heart problem
- if your thyroid gland has been removed and you have been prescribed levothyroxine
- if there is weight gain following treatment with imatinib
- if your develop swelling in part or whole of the body as your body may retain water due to imatinib
Do not start imatinib in children without the advice of the doctor, since it may affect the normal growth in children
Effective contraceptives should be used by women during therapy
Your doctor may ask you to undergo certain blood tests before and during treatment with imatinib, to check your response to the drug and the drug’s side-effects.
Imatinib can cause dizziness or drowsiness and blurred vision, therefore, caution should be taken before operating an automobile or machinery or engaging in activities requiring mental alertness and coordination.