Information about Imatinib mesylate
Imatinib mesylate uses
Imatinib mesylate is used in the treatment of blood cancer (Chronic myeloid leukaemia) and gastrointestinal stromal tumour.
How imatinib mesylate works
Imatinib mesylate is an anti-cancer medication. It works by blocking the action of the abnormal protein that signals cancer cells to multiply. This helps to stop or slow the spread of cancer cells.
Common side effects of imatinib mesylate
Nausea, Rash, Vomiting, Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain, Edema, Abdominal pain, Fatigue, Diarrhoea, Muscle cramp
Available Medicine for Imatinib mesylate
- ₹855 to ₹2027Natco Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹455 to ₹1571Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries2 variant(s)
- ₹937 to ₹2240Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹904 to ₹3262Zuventus Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹850 to ₹2500Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹470 to ₹2004Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹875 to ₹1813Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹900 to ₹1797Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹3110Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹900Celon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Imatinib mesylate
Imatinib should always be taken at the advice of a doctor who is experienced in treating cancers.
Do not start or continue imatinib and consult your doctor;
- If you are allergic to imatinib or any other ingredients in the medicine
- if you have or had a liver, kidney or heart problem
- if your thyroid gland has been removed and you have been prescribed levothyroxine
- if there is weight gain following treatment with imatinib
- if your develop swelling in part or whole of the body as your body may retain water due to imatinib
Do not start imatinib in children without the advice of the doctor, since it may affect the normal growth in children
Effective contraceptives should be used by women during therapy
Your doctor may ask you to undergo certain blood tests before and during treatment with imatinib, to check your response to the drug and the drug’s side-effects.
Imatinib can cause dizziness or drowsiness and blurred vision, therefore, caution should be taken before operating an automobile or machinery or engaging in activities requiring mental alertness and coordination.