Information about Hydroxychloroquine
Hydroxychloroquine is used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus.
How hydroxychloroquine works
Hydroxychloroquine blocks the action of certain chemical messengers that are responsible for inflammation, swelling and redness associated with certain autoimmune diseases. It suppresses the underlying disease process, rather than simply treating the disease.
Common side effects of hydroxychloroquine
Headache, Feeling sick, Diarrhea, Mood changes, Loss of appetite, Abdominal pain
Available Medicine for Hydroxychloroquine
- ₹93 to ₹132Ipca Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹158 to ₹387Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹62 to ₹126Wallace Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹63 to ₹126Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹65 to ₹121Overseas Healthcare Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹125Ipca Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹121Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹57Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹60 to ₹117Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹62 to ₹119Vasu Organics Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Hydroxychloroquine
- You have been prescribed Hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis or systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Take it with food to avoid an upset stomach.
- It can take 8-12 weeks for Hydroxychloroquine to work. Keep taking it as prescribed.
- Do not take medicines that neutralise stomach acids (antacids) four hours before and after taking Hydroxychloroquine as they can stop the medicine from being absorbed properly from your gut.
- Have regular eye tests done while taking this medicine. Stop taking it and inform your doctor immediately if you notice any changes in your vision.
- It can cause lowering of blood glucose level. Inform your doctor if you experience hypoglycemia symptoms such as cold sweats, cool pale skin, tremor, and anxious feeling.
Frequently asked questions for Hydroxychloroquine
Q. Is Hydroxychloroquine safe?
Yes, Hydroxychloroquine is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration advised by your doctor.
Q. Does Hydroxychloroquine get you high?
No, Hydroxychloroquine does not produce any psychological feeling of extreme happiness or colloquially known as ‘feeling high'.