Information about Hydroflumethiazide
Hydroflumethiazide is used in Hypertension (high blood pressure). It treats oedema (fluid overload) associated with heart, liver, kidney or lung disease.
How Hydroflumethiazide works
Hydroflumethiazide is a thiazide diuretic. It lowers blood pressure and fluid retention in edema by removing the extra water and certain electrolytes from the body. Over time it also works by relaxing blood vessels and improving blood flow.
Common side effects of Hydroflumethiazide
Nausea, Headache, Increased blood uric acid, Altered blood lipid level, Glucose intolerance, Decreased potassium level in blood
Available Medicine for Hydroflumethiazide
Expert advice for Hydroflumethiazide
- It makes you feel dizzy. Avoid driving and attention requiring activity until you know how it affects you.
- Avoid alcohol intake while taking Hydroflumethiazide as it may increase the dizziness.
- It may cause an increase of potassium level in your blood. Avoid potassium-rich diet such as dried fruit, bananas, tomatoes.
- Monitor your blood pressure after starting Hydroflumethiazide, and notify your doctor if it does not lower down.
- Notify your doctor if you experience dizziness, tiredness, or muscle weakness that does not go away.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning pregnancy or breastfeeding.