Ethinyl Estradiol is used for contraception, post menopausal osteoporosis, prostate cancer, hormone replacement therapy (hrt) and failure of ovarian development.
How it works
Ethinyl estradiol belongs to a class of medications called estrogens (female hormones). It is a synthetic form of the naturally occurring hormone and helps in development and maintenance of menstrual cycle. In post-menopausal women, it works by reducing the post-menopausal symptoms and risk of weakening bones and bone fracture.
Common side effects
Headache, Nausea, Mood changes, Change in body weight, Abdominal pain, Sexual dysfunction, Breast enlargement, Metrorrhagia (menstrual bleeding at irregular intervals), Breast tenderness, Edema, Fibroid
- ₹22 to ₹39Organon (India) Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹10 to ₹45Mac Millon Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹14Bennet Pharmaceuticals Limited1 variant(s)
- ₹14Empiai Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹699Akumentis Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹14McW Healthcare1 variant(s)
- ₹12Midas Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- Inform your doctor if you have had a uterus removal procedure or have any problems of the uterus (uterine fibroids, hyperplasia of the endometrium, uterus cancer).
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of blood clotting disorder, liver problems, gall bladder disorders (e.g. gall stones), high blood pressure, diabetes, hearing problems, breast cancer, heart problems, high levels of fats in blood or migraine.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you experience pain in your chest that spreads to arm or neck, unexplained migraine-type headaches, with or without disturbed vision, painful swelling in your leg, sudden chest pain and difficulty breathing.
- Ensure that you undergo regular breast screening (for presence of lumps or any abnormal changes) and cervical smear test while taking ethinylestradiol.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not take if allergic to ethinylestradiol or any of its ingredients.
- Do not take if having recent blood clotting problems or related conditions like heart attack.
- Do not take if suffering from breast or uterus cancer.
- Do not take if suffering from untreated enlargement of inner wall of uterus (endometrial hyperplasia).
- Patients who have or had liver diseases (e.g. jaundice).
- Do not take if having any disorder related to haemoglobin (porphyria).
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is ethinylestradiol good for acne?
Ethinylestradiol may help in acne treatment. However, it is strongly recommended that you consult your doctor for advice on best treatment option suitable your condition and needs.