Information about Diphtheria Toxoid
Diphtheria toxoid uses
Diphtheria Toxoid is used to prevent diptheria.
How diphtheria toxoid works
Diphtheria toxoid is a vaccine.It helps develop immunity by initiating a mild infection. This type of infection does not cause illness, but it does stimulate the body's immune system to produce antibodies to protect against any future infections.
Common side effects of diphtheria toxoid
Neurological disturbances, Pain, Fever, Flushing (sense of warmth in the face, ears, neck and trunk), Decreased blood pressure, Skin redness, Tachycardia, Tenderness, Urticaria.
Available Medicine for Diphtheria ToxoidNo medicine available
Expert advice for Diphtheria Toxoid
• For DPT vaccine, always follow the compulsory schedule of 5 doses starting from 6 weeks age of a child.Inform your doctor, if you have taken diphtheria toxoid vaccine within 5 years.
• Inform your doctor, if you are suffering from blood disorders, sudden temporary loss of movements (Guillain Barre Syndrome), or if you have a poor body defence system.
• Do not drive of operate machinery after the injection, as the combination vaccines may cause dizziness.
• Seek immediate medical attention if you experience severe allergic reaction such as tightness in chest, difficulty breathing, fainting, fits, tingling or weakness in hands and feet, severe and persistent swelling, redness and pain on injection site.
• Should not be given to patients allergic to diphtheria toxoids, any of the components of the combination vaccines or any of its ingredients.
• Should not be given to patients with acute severe illness with high fever.
• Should not be given to patients with a history of severe allergic reaction after vaccination with any other diphtheria toxoid-containing vaccines.
Frequently asked questions for Diphtheria Toxoid
Q. Is diphtheria toxin an endotoxin?
No, diphtheria toxin is an exotoxin and not an endotoxin
Q. Is diphtheria toxin a protein?
Yes, diphtheria toxin is an extracellular protein of the bacteria Corynebacterium diphtheriae.