Information about Colistin
Colistin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections and serious bacterial infections.
How colistin works
Colistin stops the growth of bacteria that cause infections.
Common side effects of colistin
Nausea, Nephrotoxicity, Neurotoxicity, Peripheral neuropathy (tingling and numbness of feet and hand), Acute tubular necrosis, Confusion, Dizziness, Muscle weakness, Renal injury, Respiratory distress, Secondary infections, Visual impairment, Vomiting
Available Medicine for Colistin
- ₹33 to ₹65Wallace Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹2541Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹749 to ₹1518La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹836 to ₹3950Alkem Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹790 to ₹2220Zuventus Healthcare Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹785 to ₹2000Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹38 to ₹52Ind Swift Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹1449Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹767 to ₹1257Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹37 to ₹47Indi Pharma2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Colistin
- You may be regularly monitored for serum creatinine and blood urea nitrogen while on colstin treatment.
- Use with caution if you have porphyria (a rare blood pigment disorder that affects kidney) or kidney disease.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Colistin
Q. Is colistin an antibiotic / a bactericidal?
Yes colistin is an antibiotic with bactericidal action
Q. Is colistin broad spectrum antibiotic?
No, colistin belongs to a class of drugs called polymyxin antibiotic
Q. Does colistin cover pseudomonas?
Yes, colistin is effective against pseudomonas.