Cefotaxime is used in the treatment of bacterial infections
How it works
Cefotaxime is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria by attacking their cell wall. Specifically, it prevents the synthesis of a substance in the cell wall called peptidoglycan, which provides the cell wall with the strength required for survival of bacteria in human body.
Common side effects
Nausea, Diarrhoea, Allergic reaction
- ₹13 to ₹34Alkem Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹33Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries3 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹34Zuventus Healthcare Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹33Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹37Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹37Mapra Laboratories Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹34Lupin Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹25Neon Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹28Veritaz Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹27Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- Only use Cefotaxime when prescribed by a registered medical doctor.
- Always take the full prescription, even if you feel better.
- Can lead to nausea and diarrhoea frequently.
- Inform your doctor if you develop a rash or other unexpected symptoms.
- Inform your doctor if there is the previous history of drug allergy.
- Avoid taking for a long duration as there is a risk of serious intestinal infection and low blood count.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is cefotaxime a sulfa, penicillin or broad spectrum antibiotic?
Cefotaxime does not contain sulfa and is not a penicillin drug. It is a third generation, broad spectrum cephalosporin antibiotic
Q. Is cefotaxime compatible with potassium and TPN?
Yes, cefotaxime can be given with potassium and TPN (total parenteral nutrition)
Q. Is cefotaxime ototoxic (toxic to the ear)?
No, cefotaxime is not an ototoxic drug when given alone, but when given along with aminoglycoside antibiotics (gentamicin, tobramycin), it may increase ototoxicity
Q. Is cefotaxime bacteriostatic or bactericidal?
Cefotaxime is a bactericidal agent
Q. What organisms does cefotaxime cover?
Cefotaxime is active against Escherichia coli, group A and B streptococci, pseudomonas and staphylococcus bacteria. In some cases, Streptococcus pneumonia may show resistance to the drug. It may not be effective against methicillin- resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).