Information about Cefotaxime
Cefotaxime is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How cefotaxime works
Cefotaxime is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by preventing them from forming the bacterial protective covering (cell wall) which is needed for them to survive.
Common side effects of cefotaxime
Nausea, Diarrhea, Allergic reaction, Vomiting, Rash, Injection site reaction
Available Medicine for Cefotaxime
- ₹17 to ₹80Alkem Laboratories Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹38Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries4 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹35Zuventus Healthcare Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹33Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹35Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹33Mapra Laboratories Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹32Veritaz Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹34Abbott3 variant(s)
- ₹31Elder Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹34Lupin Ltd4 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cefotaxime
- Your doctor has prescribed Cefotaxime to cure your infection and improve your symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection to come back and harder to treat.
- Discontinue Cefotaxime and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Take it with food to avoid an upset stomach.
- Avoid consuming alcohol while taking Cefotaxime as it may cause increased side effects.
Frequently asked questions for Cefotaxime
Q. Can the use of Cefotaxime cause diarrhea?
Yes, the use of Cefotaxime can cause diarrhea. It is an antibiotic which kills the harmful bacteria. However, it also affects the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine and causes diarrhea. If diarrhea persists, talk to your doctor about it.
Q. How long does Cefotaxime takes to work?
Usually, Cefotaxime starts working soon after taking it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and make you feel better.
Q. What if I don't get better after using Cefotaxime?
Inform your doctor if you don't feel better after finishing the full course of treatment. Also, inform him if your symptoms are getting worse while using this medicine.
Q. Can I stop taking Cefotaxime when my symptoms are relieved?
No, do not stop taking Cefotaxime and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.