Information about Carmustine
Carmustine is used in the treatment of brain tumor.
How carmustine works
Carmustine works by damaging the genetic material (DNA) of the cancer cells and stops their growth and multiplication.
Common side effects of carmustine
Nausea, Headache, Weakness, Vomiting, Infection, Confusion, Constipation, Rash, Hair loss, Fever, Convulsion, Depression, Speech disorder, Brain swelling, Thrombophlebitis, Hemiplegia (paralysis of one side of the body), Sleepiness.
Available Medicine for Carmustine
- ₹3497Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹4255Therdose Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Carmustine
- Caution is to be exercised by patients with bone marrow suppression, breathing problems or lung disease and elderly patients.
- Carmustine lowers immune response making you susceptible to infections. Therefore avoid contact with people suffering from cold or infections.
- Carmustine reduces body’s ability to clot blood. Hence, in case of injury /bruising or presence of blood in the stools notify your doctor.
- Do not consume this drug if you are allergic to carmustine or any of its ingredients.
- Avoid activities that may increase your risk of bleeding or injury.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Carmustine
Q. Is carmustine safe?
Carmustine is safe if taken at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is carmustine a vesicant?
Carmustine is classified under irritants amongst chemotherapy drugs. However when administered at high doses it can act as vesicant
Q. Does carmustine inhibit DNA replication?
Yes, Carmustine works by preventing DNA replication.