Information about Carbimazole
Carbimazole is used in the treatment of hyperthyroidism.
How carbimazole works
Carbimazole is an anti-thyroid medication. It works by reducing the amount of thyroid hormones produced by the thyroid gland.
Common side effects of carbimazole
Skin rash, Headache, Skin pigmentation, Pain, Joint stiffness, Nausea, Paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation), Hair loss
Available Medicine for Carbimazole
- ₹192 to ₹967Abbott2 variant(s)
- ₹192 to ₹796Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹192 to ₹779Abbott3 variant(s)
- ₹189 to ₹550Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹20Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Carbimazole
- Do not take carbimazole, if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to carbimazole or any of the other ingredients in formulation or other anti-thyroid medicines such as thiamazole, methimazole or propylthiouracil.
- Avoid taking carbimazole, if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Do not take carbimazole, if you have a severe liver disorder; serious blood disorder; large thyroid swelling in your neck; if you are receiving radio-iodine.
Frequently asked questions for Carbimazole
Q. Is Carbimazole an immunosuppressant/a steroid/ a beta-blocker?
No. Carbimazole is anti-thyroid drug. It is used in the treatment of hyperthyroidism (over functioning of thyroid gland)
Q. How long can I take Carbimazole?
You can take Carbimazole at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Can I take carbimazole with paracetamol/ antihistamines/ Nurofen (ibuprofen)/ antibiotics/ Piriton (chlorpheniramine)/ amoxicillin/ propranolol/ vitamins/ co-codamol (paracetamol and codeine)?
No interactions have been reported between carbimazole and paracetamol/ Nurofen (ibuprofen), antihistaminics, Piriton, amoxicillin, vitamins and Co-codamol. Carbimazole can increase the blood levels of antibiotics like erythromycin, and decrease the blood levels of propranolol
Q. Does Carbimazole cause weight loss/ diarrhea/ weight gain/ fatigue/ hair loss/ itching/ dry mouth/ interference in periods?
Yes, Carbimazole can cause diarrhea, fatigue, hair loss, itching and dry mouth. However side effects like weight gain, weight loss and interference in periods are not proved to be caused by Carbimazole
Q. Is Carbimazole teratogenic?
Yes, Carbimazole is teratogenic and it can cause skin defects, hypothyroidism and gut abnormalities in fetus
Q. Is Carbimazole safe?
Carbimazole is safe when taken at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor.