Candesartan is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) and congestive heart failure (a condition when the heart cannot pump enough blood to the other parts of the body).
How it works
Candesartan belongs to a class of drugs called angiotensin II receptor antagonists. It acts on the blood vessels by relaxing and widening them, thus lowering the blood pressure. In addition, this also helps the heart to pump blood to other parts of the body easily.
Common side effects
Dizziness, Fainting, Headache, Increased potassium level in blood, Respiratory tract infection
- Candesartan use can cause symptomatic hypotension (low blood pressure). It is important to monitor your blood pressure regularly while on treatment.
- Do not change your dose or stop taking candesartan, even if you are feeling well, as this may worsen your symptoms.
- Use of candesartan may cause dizziness; it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery under such circumstances till you feel fine.
- Before you take candesartan, inform your doctor if you suffer from liver/kidney/heart problems or are on dialysis or have low blood pressure or stroke.
- If you are or planning to undergo a surgery involving anesthesia, inform your doctor that you are taking candesartan.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking or have recently taken or might take any other medicines along with candesartan.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is Candesartan an ACE inhibitor/ a beta blocker/ calcium channel blocker/ alpha blocker/ blood thinner?
Candesartan is an angiotensin II receptor antagonist.
Q. Is candesartan safe?
Candesartan is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Is candesartan the same as atacand?
No. Actacand is a prodrug containing Candesartan cilexetil which gets hydrolysed to candesartan before absorption in body.
Q. Is candesartan / Candesartan cilexetil a statin?
No. Candesartan is not a statin.
Q. Can I take ibuprofen/ paracetamol with Candesartan / Candesartan cilexetil?
Yes. However, you may require close monitoring by your treating doctor.
Q. Can I take viagra with candesartan?
Yes. However, viagra may add up the blood pressure lowering effect of candesartan. Always consult your doctor before taking the combination.
Q. Can I take aspirin with candesartan?
Yes. However, aspirin reduces the blood pressure lowering effect of candesartan and also prolonged combination use may affect your kidney function. You must consult your doctor prior to taking this combination.
Q. Can I take diclofenac with candesartan?
Yes. However, diclofenac reduces the blood pressure lowering effect of candesartan and also prolonged combination use may affect your kidney function. You must consult your doctor prior to taking this combination.
Q. Can I take lemsip with candesartan?
Yes. You can take lemsip (Paracetamol) with candesartan. However, always consult your doctor before taking any combination.
Q. Does candesartan cause headaches/ hair loss/ weight gain/ erectile dysfunction/ constipation/ tinnitus/ cancer?
Yes. Candesartan use may cause headache. However it is not known to cause hair loss, weight gain, erectile dysfunction, insomnia, constipation, tinnitus or cancer. Please consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.
Q. Does candesartan make you tired?
The use of Candesartan may rarely make you tired.
Q. Does candesartan work?
Yes. Candesartan works if used at prescribed does for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.