Information about Candesartan
Candesartan is used in the treatment of high blood pressure. Decreasing high blood pressure lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
How candesartan works
Candesartan is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB). It works by blocking the hormone angiotensin thereby relaxing blood vessels, allowing the blood to flow more smoothly and the heart to pump more efficiently.
Common side effects of candesartan
Dizziness, Back pain, Sinus inflammation, Increased potassium level in blood
Available Medicine for Candesartan
- ₹35 to ₹67Medichem Pharmceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹80Rene Lifescience1 variant(s)
- ₹27 to ₹70Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹62Micro Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Candesartan
- Candesartan can be taken with or without food but preferably be taken at the same time of the day.
- It is best to take the first dose before bed to reduce symptomatic hypotension.
- Candesartan may cause the level of potassium in blood to go up. Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you have rapid swelling of the lips, tongue, and throat that may affect breathing.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Candesartan
Q. Is Candesartan an ACE inhibitor/ a beta blocker/ calcium channel blocker/ alpha blocker/ blood thinner?
Candesartan is an angiotensin II receptor antagonist
Q. Is Candesartan safe?
Candesartan is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Candesartan the same as atacand?
No. Actacand is a prodrug containing Candesartan cilexetil which gets hydrolysed to Candesartan before absorption in body
Q. Is Candesartan / Candesartan cilexetil a statin?
No. Candesartan is not a statin
Q. Can I take ibuprofen/ paracetamol with Candesartan / Candesartan cilexetil?
Yes. However, you may require close monitoring by your treating doctor
Q. Can I take viagra with Candesartan?
Yes. However, viagra may add up the blood pressure lowering effect of Candesartan. Always consult your doctor before taking the combination
Q. Can I take aspirin with Candesartan?
Yes. However, aspirin reduces the blood pressure lowering effect of Candesartan and also prolonged combination use may affect your kidney function. You must consult your doctor prior to taking this combination
Q. Can I take diclofenac with candesartan?
Yes. However, diclofenac reduces the blood pressure lowering effect of candesartan and also prolonged combination use may affect your kidney function. You must consult your doctor prior to taking this combination
Q. Can I take lemsip with Candesartan?
Yes. You can take lemsip (Paracetamol) with Candesartan. However, always consult your doctor before taking any combination
Q. Does Candesartan cause headaches/ hair loss/ weight gain/ erectile dysfunction/ constipation/ tinnitus/ cancer?
Yes. Candesartan use may cause headache. However it is not known to cause hair loss, weight gain, erectile dysfunction, insomnia, constipation, tinnitus or cancer. Please consult your doctor if you experience such side effects
Q. Does Candesartan make you tired?
The use of Candesartan may rarely make you tired
Q. Does Candesartan work?
Yes. Candesartan works if used at prescribed does for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.