Aluminum hydroxide either alone or in combination with some other drugs is used to treat heartburn, upset or sour stomach, peptic ulcer and related pain, gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD). It is also used in patients with kidney problems to reduce phosphate levels.
How it works
Aluminum hydroxide belongs to a class of medication call antacids. It acts by neutralizing the acids released in the stomach thus treating the above mentioned conditions.
Common side effects
Facial swelling, Allergic reaction, Confusion, Difficulty in urination, Coughing up blood, Drowsiness, Black and bloody stools, Muscle disorder, Fatigue, Constipation, Loss of appetite
AVAILABLE MEDICINENo medicine available
- Do not take aluminum hydroxide if you are allergic to aluminum hydroxide or any of the other ingredient of this tablet or syrup especially sucrose.
- Do not take this tablet two hours before or after any medication.
- Consult your doctor before taking aluminum hydroxide : if you have a history of hypertension or heart problem; kidney stones or any kidney disease; severe constipation; gastrointestinal bleeding; or dehydration.
- Avoid using aluminum hydroxide if you have alcohol addiction or take alcohol frequently.
- Consult your doctor before taking aluminum hydroxide if you are pregnant or breast-feeding if you are taking antibiotics, heart medication, arthritis medication, anti-pain medication or iron supplements.
Frequently asked questions
Q. How does aluminium hydroxide work?
Aluminum hydroxide belongs to a class of medication call antacids. It acts by neutralizing the acids released in the stomach thus treating irritation of stomach lining.
Q. Is aluminium hydroxide an alkali/ weak base/strong base/amphoteric?
Aluminium hydroxide is a strong base and is amphoteric.
Q. Is aluminium hydroxide safe?
Aluminium hydroxide is safe when taken for an indication and at a dose strictly instructed by your doctor.
Q. Is aluminium hydroxide known to cause Alzheimer’s?
Aluminium hydroxide was thought to be associated with neurological symptoms. Studies clearly show that aluminum hydroxide does not cause neurological symptoms and thus does not cause Alzheimer’s.