Description of Stomach ulcers
Definition of Stomach Ulcers
A stomach ulcer or peptic ulcer is a sore in the lining of stomach or the first part of small intestine (duodenum).
Signs and Symptoms of Stomach Ulcers
Common symptoms are:
1. Burning sensation in the chest/ upper abdomen
2. Stomach ulcers can cause pain. The pain may,
a) Start between meals or during the night
b) Briefly stop if you eat or take antacids
c) Last for minutes to hours
d) Comes and goes for several days or weeks
Causes and Risk Factors of Stomach Ulcers
Stomach ulcers occurs when the acids that helps to digest food, damages the walls of the stomach or duodenum. Common causes are:
1. Infection with a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori
2. Long-term use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines (NSAIDs) such as aspirin and ibuprofen.
3. Stress and spicy foods do not cause ulcers, but can make them worse.
1. Your doctor may recommend you to go for a blood, breath, and stool test done.
2. You may also be recommended to get an endoscopy or x-ray done. It will allow the doctor to look inside the stomach and duodenum.
Treatments of Stomach Ulcers
Peptic ulcers will get worse if not treated. Treatment may include:
1. Medications to reduce stomach acids or antibiotics to kill H. pylori
2. In case the ulcers do not heal, you may need a surgery
Note: Antacids and milk can't heal peptic ulcers
Prevention of Stomach Ulcers
1. Do not smoke and drink.
2. Avoid spicy foods, they may worsen stomach ulcer.
NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Frequently Asked Questions about Stomach ulcers
Celery leaves contain a special type of ethanol extract that protects the lining of the digestive tract. It also nourishes the stomach, colon and intestines due to the presence of flavonoids, tannins and alkaloids that control the level of gastric acid. Ways to use: Prepare a green salad by combining a quarter cabbage, 3 celery stalks, and 1 cucumber in a large bowl. Separately whisk 2 tsp. olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pinch sugar, black pepper in a bowl. Spoon this dressing over the cabbage salad.